Oil leaking on my Neon

My point to start with is that it is very difficult to start motor oil on fire. I've never heard of a car catching on fire because of an oil leak (not saying it's impossible, just extremely unlikely). Even aircooled VW's (which run very hot) torch due to gas leaks (not oil).

-- Christian

Save Darfur --

Vision (Darfur) --
(Sudan) --

Christian M. Mericle

you could imagine how bad it would be if oil was flammable

Hey bozo, the fumes from gasoline burns too just like the fumes from oil, Where were you at when the instrutor was telling you that too?

Reply to
maxpower

And that's well taken. *My* point was that I have personally had a car catch on fire from a (massive, sudden) ATF leak while driving, and ATF is not that different from motor oil. Just because something is difficult does not mean that it's impossible. Whether or not to address the oil leak in the OP's car is something only the OP can decide. Personally, if any leak has the potential to be sudden and massive, I'd fix it. If it looks like it will be a trickle until the end of time, it might be OK to ignore it (obviously not true for fuel however.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

AGREED BUT>>>>>> that engine has a reputation of not having a trickle leak, but a massive one, and without seeing the leak.....based on what I see in the field I would say it could be a fire hazard. oil burns, especially if it puddles and boils on hot metal because now it is causing a ignitable fume My opinion Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Actually, unlike you, I didn't have to be told that, I already knew it. So, if you guys are so afraid of oil fires in your car, I suggest you give up on driving altogether and walk. Make sure you avoid parking lots, as all those highly flammable oil spots (left by parked cars leaking oil)are probably going to ignite at any second, leaving the whole parking lot a raging inferno!!

Max, I wish you had more of your "Maxpower" applied to your brain....

Reply to
SRG

Very, very close. White hydraulic/transmission oil is something like 10 grade oil, burns with the same smell, feels the same, has less and different additives, but almost identical properties as far as boiling point, flash point, calorific value, viscosity, etc.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Personally, fire risk or no fire risk, I'm all for fixing whatever might be leaking under the hood-- be it gas, oil, ATF, coolant, or even vacuum. I figure it makes for a cleaner, better running motor and a cleaner environment. But, for the most part, we don't need to strand our vehicles beside the road or in our driveways because of an oil drip.

-- Christian

Save Darfur --

Vision (Darfur) --
(Sudan) --