neon oil leak

I have 96 neon with a big oil leak; it will loose about 1.5 litters of oil while driving at highway speed in one hours time. This happens when car is hot; when car is cold or driven under 5 mile very little leakage. The leakage looks to be from the crankshaft seal around the flywheel; not the head gasket or camshaft sensor or oil pressure switch. The car has 180,000 km on it. Has anyone seen or know about this problem.

Reply to
Delbe Comeau

I have a 96 neon with 180,000 km. This car leaks a lot of oil when it is up to temperature ; over one litre per hour at highway speed. It appears to be from the crankshaft seal; when it is driven at low speeds leakage is very low. Any ideas about this or has anyone seen this before. I am wondering if this engine is has life left in it. Thank you!

Reply to
Delbe Comeau

Common complaint on that vehicle!!! If the head gasket has never been replaced with the new style multi-layered gasket now would be a good time to have it done because more then likely its the cause. Its leaks from the back side and will look just like a rear crank seal leak... however you could even have a crank seal leak.

2 ways to do this, have someone that is familiar with this vehicle look at it to determine where the oil is coming from or have someone do an oil dye test on it to pinpoint all leaks at one time..
Reply to
maxpower

I know you say it's not the head gasket, but any Neon owner will and should suspect it. I had it on both a 97 AND a 98. 98 got stolen, 97 still going strong.

Never Forget!!!

jtees4

Reply to
Delbe Comeau