One reason DRLs shouldn't be opposed...

Yes, Microsoft has used technology from a number of companies, but has developed precious little of its own.

I think they are starting to do some research finally, but that is because they've bought up or used their monopoly power to put out of business all of the folks that actually were innovating.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

My car does not have DRL's. But I turn on the lights when it's unusually dark outside, like very cloudy and raining, or close to raining.

Another thing. When I'm on a freeway, and there's a slowpoke in the fast lane, I might need to pass them in the right lane. What I'll do is move to the right lane. I will turn my lights on, well behind the slowpoke.

What I want to do is attract the slowpoke's attention. I want them to see my lights, just as an additional warning that a faster driver will be passing them on the right.

Once the traffic flow gets back to normal I switch the lights off.

Another thing, if my V1 picks a radar alert, and I see a p*g sitting in the opposite-direction lane, parked like he's set up for a speed trap, I will flash my lights. Usually in the daytime, I'll switch to high beams. I'll flash my lights for the next 3-5 miles to warn the oncoming drivers. Of course in the day I'll want to use the high beams so the drivers in the other direction can see me better.

I'd recommend another thing. Every few months check all the bulbs on your car. Occasionally, park where you can look in the mirror (like in the window of a business). Try all the lights. Turn signals in both directions, back-up, hit the brake. Especially make sure both bulbs in the center brake lights work. Some of these bulbs burn out before the car warranty does.

I learned this lesson, I was driving in a bad part of town, had to stop. A car behind me bumped me. I was afraid to get out, so I continued on. There was no damage, it just was a light hit. Later, I found that both bulbs in my center brake lights were out. This might have caused a problem for the driver behind me. It wasn't until several months later I discovered the burnt-out center brake lights.

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

A good practice

| | Another thing. When I'm on a freeway, and there's a slowpoke in the fast | lane, I might need to pass them in the right lane. What I'll do is move | to the right lane. I will turn my lights on, well behind the slowpoke.

Why don't you "flash-to-pass" instead and make a legal pass?

| | What I want to do is attract the slowpoke's attention. I want them to see | my lights, just as an additional warning that a faster driver will be | passing them on the right. | | Once the traffic flow gets back to normal I switch the lights off. | | Another thing, if my V1 picks a radar alert, and I see a p*g sitting in | the opposite-direction lane, parked like he's set up for a speed trap, I | will flash my lights. Usually in the daytime, I'll switch to high beams. | I'll flash my lights for the next 3-5 miles to warn the oncoming drivers. | Of course in the day I'll want to use the high beams so the drivers in the | other direction can see me better.

Some states that is illegal, but I know someone that got off by telling the judge that the law infringed on his right to free speach...the judge agreed and dismissed the case.

| | I'd recommend another thing. Every few months check all the bulbs on your | car. Occasionally, park where you can look in the mirror (like in the | window of a business). Try all the lights. Turn signals in both | directions, back-up, hit the brake. Especially make sure both bulbs in | the center brake lights work. Some of these bulbs burn out before the car | warranty does.

Checking the operation of the lights monthly is a good practice. Seems obvious enough that one wouldn't think it would require mentioning.

| | I learned this lesson, I was driving in a bad part of town, had to stop. A | car behind me bumped me. I was afraid to get out, so I continued on. | There was no damage, it just was a light hit. Later, I found that both | bulbs in my center brake lights were out. This might have caused a | problem for the driver behind me. It wasn't until several months later I | discovered the burnt-out center brake lights. |

A good lesson to learn...glad the accident wasn't worse!

Reply to
James C. Reeves