Pacifica engines KAPUT!

"Matthew S. Whiting" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@computer.org:

Because he rightfully thought that most people who are interested in Chrysler products would be interested.

Reply to
tango

I think they might be back up and making LXs, at least in small quantities. I saw a 300C on the road in Sterling Heights, MI on Sunday.

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

I guess the problem some people are having is with the subject line, "Pacifica engines KAPUT!"

Other than that, I don't see why all the fuss. Lines stop while problems are fixed all the time, as I understand it. It could be anything from a bad batch of washers or bolts or snaprings or whatnot, to a fundamental problem in the design (although doubtful since the engine's been in production so long with no problems).

Reply to
Steve

I'm very interested in Chrysler products. I'm not much interested in rumors about Chrysler. I'd only be interested if they were known to be shipping defective product. That would be of interest to almost everyone here. I'm very glad to hear Chrysler is doing the right thing here, but it is hardly newsworthy. My opinion, others can express theirs.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

Yes, both the subject line and the tone of the first post were clearly intended to negatively reflect on Chrysler. All of the later backpedaling doesn't change that.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

Quality problems are not new for Chrysler. It's not a worker problem, it's a cost cutting problem. Maybe he hopes to help someone not to be stuck with a lemon? The last two Chryslers I owned spend more time in for repairs than the road. Thanks for the warning.

Reply to
Dave Doyon

And your basis for this assertion is...?

By spreading rumours and guesses? Don't think so.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

And how will this post tell you which vehicles were affected? You'd need to know the VINs produced by day and shift. Also, if Chrysler corrects the problem, which by all appearances they intend to do, there won't be a problem. Hence the post was nothing more than tabloid material, which was the obvious intent from the screaming subject line and content of the original post.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

Yep

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

NOT.

Matthew S. Whit> Hence the post was nothing more than tabloid

Reply to
Mike Behnke

Hi there,

finally some real information - thanks !

So, how long has this problem been around ? Is there already a TSB, or does this affect only a smaller batch of cars/engines built with rods from a particular supplier ?

My Pacifica was built in 09/2003 (bought in 12/03) and I have put ~3k miles on it. No engine problems whatsoever, as of now. How fast do the rods fail, if they fail ? Any warning signs, or will they and the whole engine fail out of the blue sky ?

BTW: Great car, I like it quite a lot - Kudos to DCX and the folks at the lines in particular !!!

Reply to
Thor

We don't know that. All that was posted (which you are calling "real information") was some anonymous individual claiming to have been at the plant and claiming to know what the nature of the alleged engine problem is. You may be prepared to take him/her at his/her word, but I certainly am not.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Or version

The oil companies bought all of them. ( Wow, have not said/written that since the old HIGH MILEAGE Carburators stories.) Old myth/joke.

Reply to
Richard Benner Jr

In comparison to the not so real statement "engines Kaput", which btw should really read "engines Kaputt", the reference to the rod bolts sounds in fact much more real than most of the postings in this thread.

There is no preparedness on my side, I am not on a crusade or anything, just a happy Pacifica owner who is kind of surprised about the defensive attitude in this group :)

In case there really is/was a problem with the bolts, they should have seen a number of surprises at the engine test beds, don´t they ? And yes, I agree with another poster in the group in that things like that can happen and it´s great to see that DCX halts the production and apparaently runs empty Pacifica carriers in Windsor while it is fixing the problem.

If anybody knows anything more about the alledged 3.5l 24V Engine issues, please let us know - of course only if you can without releasing confidential company information ;)

Reply to
Thor

You better learn to recognize real information. There's precious little in this post.

Why would you have a TSB when the problem was found at the factory and is being fixed? This kind of concern is exactly what the OP wanted to induce and it appears he's now succeeded. Still not sure why he wants to trash his employer, assuming he even really works for Chyrsler, but he apparently has some axe to grind. And then people like him complain when the auto makers export their jobs.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

If you base veracity on how a statement sounds, then I feel sorry for you.

What is defensive about objecting to unfounded rumors being posted which cause gullible people like you to worry about nothing?

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

Nice try - is that the discussion capability you've learned at Applebee's ?

I feel your pain. Thanks for saving the world with your pointless rants and arrogant-aggressive posts.

The tone in this group is really strange... ... and somehow so far away from the image and quality of todays DCX products, imho.

Breathe deep, folks !

Reply to
Thor

There are many reasons why a TSB could emerge out of a newly discovered manufactuuring issue in case it has been around for a while

- no need to speculate.

But maybe you didn't get the point, so here are my questions again:

  • Is there really a (possible) engine issue with the Pacificas ?
  • Could this be a problem even with an engine/vehicle manufactured back in September 2003 ?
  • Is there anything that could be done about it, any check ?
  • Is there any warning sign ?

In my eyes these are perfectly legitimate questions to ask for somebody owning a Pacifica. If posting them is too offensive for you, please feel free to just ignore them. What I am looking for is profound information and not just some shoot-the-messenger or some kill-the-inquirer-type of chitchat.

Reply to
Thor

To you, maybe. A comment like that coming from a guy named "Thor" is what seems strange to me!

What, you were expecting posts in broken English with a heavy German accent? Or were you somehow expecting to lose money with every one you read?

:-)

--Geoff pfft! Just checked out gmx.com... lol!

Reply to
Geoff

Crain's AutoNews.com headline (2/16/2004):

Bad bolts interrupt Pacifica output

The Chrysler group is determining how many 2004 Chrysler Pacificas have faulty connecting rod engine bolts and whether any of the vehicles reached dealerships or customers. - 2004-02-16

Reply to
RWM

Finally completed that Psych 101 class, eh?

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting