I got stranded; HELP!!

Hi Guys, Today, as I was driving my '85 New Yorker with 72,000 miles, it suddenly had a loss of power. I was driving 45mph when I noticed that it would not accelerate when I pressed on the gas pedal. I immediately turned off the car and turned it back on. It worked fine and got me home. ( a mile away) Then, I took it for another ride and it suddenly stopped and would not restart. To make a long story short, I had to get it towed home.

I checked the codes using the off-on-off-on-off-on and got a 26 and a 27. I also noticed that while cranking it doesn't seem to be getting any spark.

Anyone have any ideas??

It's snowing out and don't have a garage. I'd like to get the car running ASAP rather then have it site for months till the weather turns clear.

HEELLLPPPP!!!!!

TIA,

Jesse

Reply to
Jesse

Is that an '85 2.6 litre MitsuShitty? If so, you may have the same problem mine had. The balance shafts siezed and the 6 foot long chain that runs them (and the oil pump) stripped the teeth off the sprocket on the crank. The camshafts and distributor are driven off the OTHER chain, which kept going for a while. Long enough to spin a couple main bearings. That happened BEFORE I bought it as a non-runner. Took a short block to repair it.

Reply to
clare

Sorry! Its an '86 New Yorker with a 2.2 Turbo engine. Hopefully, what you mention is not the problem.

Jesse

Reply to
Jesse

Today, I got into the car and it started right up. I let it idle for about

1/2 hours and them it shut off and would not restart. About 45 minutes later, I tried again and it started right up.

Seems like something is not working when the engine gets warm. The temp needle reads just below midpoint and I have no coolant leaks.

Could it be just the coil? I had an old '75 Dodge Charger Special Edition (like the Cordoba) that did this same thing. I changed the coil and never had the problem again.

Anyone??

Reply to
Jesse

Any trouble code read out from the ECU? It looks to be a heating problem, probably related to the ignition module.

Jesse wrote:

Reply to
Mike Behnke

Mike, I'm at a loss! "Any trouble code read out from the ECU?"

How do I go about getting those codes?

Jesse

Reply to
Jesse

Number 1 suspect on a 2.2 that dies or won't restart when hot is the hall-effect pickup in the distributor.

Reply to
Steve

Well, upon checking the Allpar site, repair section (at the urging of Mike Behnke) Thanks Mike!

I bypassed the ASD Relay by jumping the positive terminal of the battery to the positive terminal of the coil. She started right up. As soon as I remove the jumper, she would die!!

I called Chrysler and them don't show a ASD relay for the vehicle. I don't know what it looks like to remove and take it to the dealer for a similar one.

I also don't know what the map sensor looks like, Can anyone help?? Can anyone send me a pic of either or both of the above?

Also, Does $77.00 (Murray's Auto) $88.10 (Chrysler dealer) sound fair for the MAP Sensor??

Thank you,

Jesse

Reply to
Jesse