Poor compression

Hi.

I have a dodge shadow 1991 with 186000kms, been experiencing rough idle and very poor mileage. Took the car to the garage and measured cylinder compression...results

1 - 135 2 - 70 3 - 85 4 - 130

What can I do?

Alberto Mirarchi

Reply to
Alberto

Check the head gasket. I'll bet its blown between #2 and #3. While the head is off, have it and the block surface checked for straightness. Has the engine ever been overheated?

Reply to
Steve

Hi.

The eng>

Reply to
Alberto

I've never done a head gasket on a 2.2/2.5, but I've done a number of other engines and talked to people who have done 2.2/2.5s. Its pretty straightforward. Use a Fel-Pro replacement gasket, use new head bolts (these engines use "torque-to-yield" bolts that stretch, and while you can re-use them if they pass a "straightedge" test, its generally best to get new ones) and keep everything clean. Take the head to a machine shop for examination and smoothing if needed, and check the block with a steel straightedge.

When re-installing the head, follow the bolt torquing procedures EXACTLY. This normally means using a torque wrench to bring them to a specified torque, and THEN using a breaker bar to turn them a fixed amount (something like 1/4 or 1/2 turn) to properly stretch the torque-to-yield bolts.

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
Your Name