PT Cr. manual trans not going into reverse

2001 PT Cruiser with manual transmission. I'm unable to engage the reverse gear. All other gears work fine, just no reverse. No difference if the engine is running, or clutch depressed.

Gear shift can move to the right in neutral. It can move forward into 5th. It won't move backward into reverse.

Before I start tinkering or take it to a shop - anyone have an idea what the problem might be?

Thanks.

Reply to
reader

Cable obstructed or out of adjustment?

Reply to
Carl Keehn

Sounds plausible. Is there a schematic available on the web (without having to sign up for Alldata)?

Reply to
reader

The shift quadrant is probably out of alignment. Back in the K-car days, Chryslers used to be adjusted under the gearshift lever, accessed by removing the shift knob and pulling the centre console up over the shift lever. Haven't seen the set-up on a PT. You probably need a service manual to carry out this operation, because it's tricky - I always found Haynes good enough for this.

Reply to
Dave Gower

Found the problem, and it's an easy fix, too. The rubber bushing at the forward end of one of the linkage cables has disintegrated and fallen out. The second cable's bushing is about to fail as well.

The replacement of both bushings will take only a few minutes.

Unfortunately, only the Chrysler dealerships carry the parts, and they will sell the complete package with two cable assemblies. They won't sell just the bushings.

So, instead of buying two bushings which would cost maybe a dollar, I must buy the cables for $150 to harvest the bushings. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy...

If anyone knows of a supplier who can sell these bushings individually, please let me know.

Thanks

Reply to
reader

Don't know what those specific bushings look like, but it seems to me that a set of Delrin or rubber replacements could be had from a place like

or, failing that, with a web search on delrin rubber bushings.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Unfortunately I couldn't find a similar bushing at smallparts. I might be able do make one from some rod material. I think Delrin would be too stiff. The actual bushing is rubber in the shape of Honeycomb cereal

(including the holes).

This bushing allows for some geometry variation as the cable pulls and pushes the linkage lever. It also (presumably) has a nub on the inside diameter that would lock it in place on the stud.

Reply to
reader