Question on A/C refilling

Hello,

I have a 1996 Plymouth Voyager and the A/C was working before winter, I suspect a small leak and was going to add a can of R-134a with the red die. The compressor is not turning on as suspect with a low fluid level. What I need to know is where the low-pressure cycling switch is located so I can short it to add the can of R-134a. Any info appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

Reply to
Hola

In order to properly recharge the system, you have to evacuate it first. If your idea is to add the die to see where the leak is, then that is not a bad idea, but you still have to properly evacuate the system in order to service it. You should not simply open the system and let the refrigerant out! So no matter how you slice it, you are going to need to take it to a shop - unless of course you have all the proper equipment. ;)

If you add refrigerant and it mixes with the air, I hear that it gets mildly corosive, and will eat all your seals. This could lead to major $$$$$. So if you are doing this as a diagnostic, then fine, but it is not a long term fix.

Just my $0.02

Reply to
cloaked

My 95 it is located on the firewall next to the T valve. Had to do the same thing last summer with mine and worked fine. Be sure to get the proper kit to do this and follow the directions.

Reply to
PC Medic

Hi Greg, If the system still has pressure in it you can do this. If not, as has been mentioned, you'll need to have the system evacuated after you find the leak. Look around the compressor pulley and around system connections for evidence of oil. Look around the condensor for evidence of oil also. Any oily spots would be evidence of a leak. If the system does have pressure then try adding a can to see if it brings the pressure up enough to kick the compressor on.

Good Luck,

Tom Heintz "Mopar Maniac"

P.S.-I can't remember where the switch is on this van. Look along the system lines for the switch. Should be in a fairly accessible spot.

Reply to
Tom & Debbie Heintz

Without the compressor cycled on and running, the system will not accept the contents of the can.

Reply to
RPhillips47

Sure it will.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Never has for me.

Reply to
RPhillips47

Tried lowering the can into a bucket of warm water?

Bill Putney

That is why he was asking for the location of the low-pressure relay, so that he can cycle the compressor to add a can and check for the leak location.

Reply to
PC Medic

Could you explain how, as I have never seen a system accept a (can ) charge without the compressor cycled on.

Reply to
PC Medic

creative I guess, but wouldn't be easier just to jumper the low pressure switch to cycle the compressor?

Reply to
PC Medic

Reply to
mic canic

No, it's called knowing how to do it. As in; proper training.

The reason there's a low pressure switch is to protect the compressor from lack of lubrication. If there is insufficient refrigerant charge, there is not going to be enough oil circulated to the compressor, if not enough oil is being circulated, you risk damage to the compressor.

Why would you want to do that?

Reply to
Neil Nelson

I am not talking continuous run of the compressor, simply cycling the compressor to bring the pressure up enough to allow it to then cycle on its own. In any case you have answered the question.

Reply to
PC Medic

I would suggest when you connect your next can you use care in connecting to the low pressure side and not the high pressure side.

Reply to
PC Medic

But you're the one who wants to cycle the compressor to bring the pressures "up" in order to add some refrigerant....

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Hi all,

The Haynes manual Caravan/Voyage 96-99 has an article on adding a can or 2 to the low pressure side. Found in section 3-11 of the book. I saw today on Two Guys Garage there is a tool which you can attach an can of r-134a and connect to the low pressure side. It has a dial indicator for Low, Correct, and High levels. Was around $20.00 US

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

Greg

Reply to
Hola