Radiator overflow tank bubbling??

Probably a bad radiator cap or head gasket. The former is cheap, the latter is not. Get it pressure tested. What does the oil look like on the dipstick (normal or milky?)?

Bill Putney

Hello

89 Dodge Caravan 2,5 L, 4 cyl, non-turbo

I have been loosing some antifreeze and when the engine is warm, there is bubbling in my radiator overflow tank.

I loose about 1/2 a liter of anti freeze (1/8 of a gallon) every 500 kilometers (300 miles) .

Any suggestions..

Thanks in advance

Walt

Reply to
Walt

Sounds like the head gasket. I've replaced mine a few times on the '89 voyager. Takes me about 4 hours to do it. Replace the head bolts with new ones that come with the gasket (about $80 for the set). These are stretch bolts that get tightened to a torque spec and then 1/4 turn past that. lube the bolt threads and under the bolt head with 'never seize to get a good torque reading. If you have more than 90K, replace the timing belt too.

If nothing else is gone, changing the head gasket is much simpler than an engine swap. Not sure about the engine compatibility. Oppie

Reply to
Oppie