Which Trailer Hitch to Install on Voyager-?

I'm thinking of bolting a trailer hitch to my '95 Voyager, 3.0 liter. I would like to be able to pull a modest 1-axle trailer, only occasionally, when doing a lumber run or hauling home my motorcycle from wherever it breaks down.

Really, it would be for occasional use only----I have heard that anything less that a Class 3 hitch is too small----is the stock suspension okay for this-?

Any suggestions would be apprieciated.

TIA

Buzzy

Reply to
BuZzY

Class 3 is way too much. I have a 96 and a 93 - both with class 2. I also have a small utility I pull, and a modest tent trailer - also both only 2 or

3 times per year. If I recall, class 2 if 5000 lbs trailer weight, and 500 lbs tongue weight - way more than I needed, but class 1 looked pretty flimsy. For the little added cost, the class 2 is fairly beefy. If you watch your tongue load is correct. and are careful with the towing, the normal shocks should be fine.
Reply to
Mike Martin

Even though you will never use the weight limit of a class 3 hitch, there are so many accessories that conveniently fit the class 3 receiver. Aside from the standard drawbar/ ball hitches, there are cargo shelves that just plug in. Also bicycle carriers. My neighbor has a SUV with a class 3 hitch. was watching him trying to mount a bicycle carrier without scratching anything. I recommended the hitch-carrier to him, which he got and was very thankful.

The down side of a class 3 is that sometimes, depending on your vehicle specifics, you may have to loose the full size spare tire and go for a space saver. Whatever works best for you. Oppie

Reply to
Oppie

Reply to
jdoe

I have the Class II generic Reese hitch that you can get at Walmart, Target, Meijer's, etc. It was about $90 I think and bolted up to the frame with no problems.

I pulled a small one-axle motorcycle trailer with my wife's 3.3L '94 Grand Voyager from Chicago to southern Ohio and, as they say, "I never even knew it was back there."

I can't imagine trying to pull anything with that van that would require a Class III hitch.

James

BuZzY wrote...

Reply to
James