Re: Greater percentage of wrecked cars being scrapped rather than

Per D.S.

> >Since a 3-point (lap/shoulder) seatbelt does over 90 percent of the job of > >reducing morbidity and mortality in traffic crashes (across all occupants, > >across all crashes), the rest-of-world approach is right and the North > >American approach is wrong. > > The fault of the 3 point is asymetrical loads across the upper body. A > correct configuration of seat belts is support to both shoulders, a lap > belt, and support to prevent "submarining." >

It's called a 5 point harness and it is standard on all child seats and race vehicles. I don't understand why it's not standard for adults. Maybe people are too leery about putting a belt where their crotch is? Maybe women with long dresses don't want to deal with this?

I guess the 3 point is fine for most safety people because in a wreck you will survive it, just break a few bones, whereas with a 5 pointer you won't break anything. What's a few bones among friends?

All this lowering, raising, and everything inbetween is dangerous, illegal > (or should be) and causes accident prone drivers to be more so at the > expense of you and yours, your car and jacks up your insurance higher than > a kite. >

in Oregon, the law is that you cannot have any part of the vehicle lower than the rim of the tire. They do enforce this. But beyond that, almost anything seems OK.

Mandatory Federal, State and Local inspection is needed to keep all > citizens in line.

This won't do it, I'm afraid. The problem is that too many people out there are piss poor drivers. Oh, they do alright on the morning and evening commutes on the highways, but thats about the extent of their abilities. Unfortunately, accusing someone of being a poor driver in the United States is tanamount to accusing a hetro of being gay.

Greatly increasing the difficulty of the written driving test, (elimination of multiple choice for starters) and requiring a real driving test with a test instructor every 6 years, and including a skid exam, instead of just letting people renew their license forever, is what is called for. That would get rid of (or educate) the worst of the idiots. Another thing that would help is for every reported accident, even fender benders, all drivers involved must submit to a driving exam within 90 days.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt