Re: Hood won't shut

> I've got a 1990 Imperial and after some recent under hood work I went to > close the hood and the latch wouldn't catch. I checked the release lever > inside the passenger compartment and sure enough it hadn't returned to its > original position. I undid the 2 bolts and removed the upper plate and > squeezing a finger underneath I was able to move the catch back. I > re-assembled everything and tried closing it again. No luck. The catch just > moved over. > So my question is, Is this spring loaded and if yes where would it be > located? > > Thanks for your help

Most likely the cable or the latch itself is a little corroded and binding. Try spraying some lube (preferably some with lithium grease in it) in the latch pivot points and end of the cable and work it back and forth a little to see if it will loosen up. The cable may be binding deeper inside, in which case you may have to take it off to try to gravity feed some lube into it, or replace the cable if that doesn't work.

The return spring could be broken or weak, but it's probably a corrosion/binding problem.

Bill Putney

Is the spring on the hood latch ok?

Reply to
mark french

I took off the grill last night and it ended up being that the spring had disapeared.. Luckily I had one lying around in my garage.. The car is almost 100% now.. I just have to work on the headlight doors and

2 electric windows that don't work. At least it runs well.
Reply to
Eric