Re: HVAC light bulb change -- 99 Cirrus LXi

"Gregory N. Latiak" wrote;

>Can anyone tell me the proper way to access and replace the right hand light >that illuminates the heating/AC controls on my 99 Cirrus LXi? I have been >chasing around ALLDATA to no success -- guess it is just too small a detail. >Obviously, I would prefer to not have to remove the entire IP. > >Also, any comment on buying the factory manuals for this car? I expect to >have it for a few years yet. > >thanks, > >-- >Gregory Latiak >Technology Strategists, Inc.

Pull the center woodgrain panel out, be careful not to break. Pull the knobs off the HVAC assy, be careful and study the assy and stack them just as you took them off. Take out the screws holding the assy in, pull assy out and lift the tabs holding the face on be careful not to break them. At that point you'll see the two bulbs. They are #37 but #74 works as well. Good Luck any problems just email me.

Lou

Reply to
Cirrus99x

Thanks. Perhaps I am a bit dense, but what is the prefered approach for snagging the center panel to pull it out? Obviously, I would hate to scratch it.

greg

Reply to
Gregory N. Latiak

I just use my fingertips and pull out from the inside lip and it snaps right out but again be careful and take your time. You will feel the resistance where the clips are.You could also use a plastic putty knife with a couple wraps of tape on the end.

Lou

Reply to
Cirrus99x

The bulb plugs into the pc board socket. The bulb is just a minature version of the 194/168 style bulbs. If the socket is broken off the pc board it would be possible to get it repaired but hardly worth the cost since you can get one from a junkyard for $25-30. I replaced one of those bulbs in my car. I used a pair of needle nose pliers with electrical tape on the ends to pull the bulb out. Be very gentle.

Lou

Lou

Reply to
LG1247

Reply to
mic canic

Lou,

The left hand bulb was plugged into a socket. I had no difficulty getting it out and a replacement in. The righthand bulb was just resting in a hole -- there was no sign of a socket. The lefthand one has the socket assembly attached to the back of the PC board. The right had a bracket in the back, but the electrical traces runs across the front of the assembly. I concluded that the socket, had there ever been one, was pushed in from the front. But the clearances suggest that it was some sort of recess, as there was no place for the little bulb to sit proud of the control assembly surface.

greg

Reply to
Gregory N. Latiak