Reliant 87, new pump?

Hi. I need to replace the water pump in my 87 Reliant 2.5L. IS IT OK if I get a used one at the junkyard, or should I better get a new one? Is that a sensitive part?

thanks

Reply to
claudio

All waterpumps will fail eventually... You could get one that has years left or you could get one that will fail tomorrow. That is the fun of junkyard shopping! In this case a brand new Duralast pump is less than $18. They aren't the greatest but they are a heck of a lot better than an unknown used one.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

I'll second that recommendation...

Reply to
Matt Ion

Me too. There are some parts where it doesn't make sense to buy used, as it is hard to determine how much life is left in them, and rebuilt ones are reasonably priced.

-KM

Reply to
kmatheson

...as I know all too well...

I won't. "Duralast" crap sold by Auto Bone and other junk chains is garbage. Spend some extra money and get an A1/Cardone rebuild...they DO last, unlike "Duralast," which doesn't. Cardone stuff is carried by many independent parts houses as well as Kragen/Schucks. They cost more, but are rebuilt here with quality seals and impellers. "Duralast" crap uses inferior lip seals and flimsy impellers. Ditto for "Duralast" ignition parts...mexican garbage.

Reply to
DeserTBoB