replacing 98 caravan brakes

i just replaced the front pads on my dodge caravan and everything went according to the factory manual but after driving the van the brakes are burning!

I took everything apart to inspect it and everything checks out.

The brakes are really hot and smell burnt after a 5km drive.

is there any special thing/technique I need to follow with dodge brakes? I've worked on all kinds of brakes but my van's brakes are the first time I've smelt burnt brakes....

i need help fast....

Thanks

Reply to
Steve

Sam Steele

Reply to
jdoe

Clean and lube the caliper pins!!!

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

I had that happen on my Acura when I forgot to really seat the pads into their proper position. One pad was crooked and it actually rubbed agaist the rotor while driving! Luckily I fixed it before messing up the rotor. Hope this helps-

Reply to
Dantanna

how I do I lube the slider pins if they're sealed with rubber boots?

Reply to
Steve

The pins slide all the way out of the boots. The ends of the boots detent into grooves on either end of each pin, so be careful removing the pins so you don't tear the boots (the boots and the rubber bushing that surround the pin are actualy one continuous piece of rubber that fit in the hole through the caliper - caliper metal surrounds the rubber bushing, rubber bushing surrounds the pin - pin slides back-and-forth in the bushing).

Use a good quality silicone brake grease to coat the pins and the inside of the boots/bushings, then re-insert the pins. Make sure the ends of the boots pop back into place in the pin grooves. Wipe off any excess grease on the outside of the boots. Before re-attaching the caliper. If any boots are torn, replace them - very easy and inexpensive - NAPA has them.

Bill Putney

I recommend an easy to find synthetic brake lube. Be sure to clean off the pins also.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard