Burning Smell 2001 Escape

I've noticed a faintly rubber-like burning smell when I open the vent on my

2001 V6 Escape w/70K miles. The smell is also noticeable after I park. Seems to come from the left side of the engine compartment. Hoses are all soft and subtle. The serpentine belt looks good, too. Brakes seem fine. I can't see any smoke. Just a burnt rubbery smell. Any ideas what this might be?

Thanks for any ideas.

Reply to
John Keiser

I should have said "passenger side" not "left."

Reply to
John Keiser

Something melted to exhaust pipe?. Take a good look top & bottom. Something can come up from the road also. It doesn't take much to get an odor going

Reply to
Repairman

That's the RIGHT side

Reply to
Fred

am in Hawaii so the AC is always on. I only noticed the smell because it has been cool enough for me to turn the AC off. On closer inspection I see that the oil filter I changed 3000 miles ago was

1/8 turn too loose and had dripped oil - apparently one drop at a time as the level was not affected. Thank you for suggesting I look at the "obvious" source.
Reply to
John Keiser