Replacing cylinder head on 2000 T&C 3.8

I have a cracked head to replace. I didn't see in the FSM or Alldata anything about lubricating the new head bolts, but most engine rebuilder sites offer three pieces of advice:

  1. follow the manufacturers guidance regarding lubing the bolts
  2. lightly lub (don't dip) the head bolts with 30w
  3. lubing vs. dry makes a big difference (2-3x) in the resulting clamping force

Yes, i can check the condition of the bolts as I extract them for signs they were originally lubed, but do any of you that regularly do this type of work know if the bolts should be dry or if the FSM is just omitting that the bolts should be lubed?

Thanks for the help, Wally

Reply to
Wally B

Yes you are supposed to lube the bolts to get the proper torque on them. Those bolts are torqued using the torque to yield method, make sure they have no stretch or necking before using them. Hold a straight edge next to the threads and make sure all threads touch the straight edge, if they don't.......replace them.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Yes you are supposed to lube the bolts to get the proper torque on them. Those bolts are torqued using the torque to yield method, make sure they have no stretch or necking before using them. Hold a straight edge next to the threads and make sure all threads touch the straight edge, if they don't.......replace them.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
jdoe

Did you read the preable to the manual that has the general comments in it? I don't know about your 2000 T&C manual in particular, but often you will see a comment that says that all torque values are with lightly lubricated fasteners unless otherwise stated. The main exceptions typically are lug nuts and exhaust hardware.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Unless there is instructions to clean the bolts, I would assume lightly lubed is the way to go.

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez