Rotor "continuity" on an '84 Voyager???

My van died a few days ago. I did the FSM trouble shooting routine and found a poor ground, a poor coil and a rotor that had no continuity between the "shutters" and the ground of a frame/battery.

The FSM said to replace the rotor - which I did. The vehicle started immediately and ran fine. It still starts and runs fine.

What is the purpose of the continuity requirement for those "shutters" on the rotor and the rest of the frame/ground? I cannot find any information in the CC FSM, nor on any web sites related to CC products of the 1984 vintage.

Thanks in advance for ANY info.

Ken Canada

Reply to
Ken Pisichko

I guess I'll try to answer this since nobody else has. (trying to remember the '79 1.7 rotor) The shutters would be connected since they are all 4 stamped from one piece of sheet metal. I remember there being a grounding tab that hits the top of the shaft to ground those shutters. I doubt that is to allow them to work, but instead it is to ground them to prevent spark from getting into the pickup. Oh, remembering, I did have to readjust the advance after changing the rotor (had changed the cap a few days earlier).

Reply to
clemslay

I don't know what the requirement is, but when the rotor on my 83 voyager had an intermittent ground/continuity the engine would NOT start.

I spent a bunch of time doing the trouble shooting routing as shown in the FSM. I did find a poor coil and a poor ground for "the computer" but the final detail was the rotor. I bought a new rotor as the FSM said to do, and the engine started and ran fine (still does). I did not adjust anything on the distributor on otherwise when I replaced the rotor.

Ken

snipped-for-privacy@> >

Reply to
Ken Pisichko

The rotor on my 85 Lebaron broke the locking tab on the rotor and it just spun loosely so car just conked out. Took me a week to stumble on the problem but boy that sure was cheap to fix : )

Reply to
frenchy