Serious price gouging in auto parts

In some discussions on another forum, it has come to light that the same part (same manufactuter, same part number), both on-line and in the brick-and-mortar stores, is either $18 *or* $45 depending in which zip code you live in (the on-line catalog has you enter your zip code before searching for parts).

It was originally noticed as a East Coast-West Caost difference, but one of the guys on the forum did the search for the same part with two zip codes 30 miles apart and found the $18 vs $45 difference. Dividing line seems to be Kansas/Colorado.

I know that they are free to charge what they want to, but that's a 150% difference. That makes no sense. Another example of MBA-think there?

Bill Putney

Could you provide a link to the website so we can confirm/disprove your claim?

Reply to
Scott Ehardt

Sure. I started with

It redirects to
when you start drilling down for parts.

Here's the page I originally drilled down to for the price with my zip code (with the same price my local Advance store sells them to me for):

Apparently, if you drill to the same part with other zip codes (west of Kansas), you get the $45 price.

Bill Putney

Wow... that is crazy! I can't think of any good reason why it would be set up like that. I emailed the website asking why the price difference, so I'll post here if I get a response.

Reply to
Scott Ehardt