2003 Dodge 3.3L Won't Start Without Ether

My wife's 2003 Caravan (3.3L with ~ 250k miles) recently started acting up. A couple of days ago, she informed me that she had to try two or three times to get it to start. It would turn over but nothing until the third time or so. No codes and no service engine light. By the time I got around to it, a couple more days had elapsed and it was up to

4 or 5 attempts before it would start. First thing I checked was spark on each plug and all was well. Plugs are new by the way. This afternoon, I stopped by the parts store to grab a fuel filter (they were out) and when I came back out, it wouldn't start. Still pursuing the hunch that it's a fuel delivery issue, I went back in and grabbed a can of starter fluid. One or two blips of ether in the intake while someone hits the key and it starts instantly. Runs beautifully thereafter - no issues. So that kind of hoses my clogged fuel filter or faulty pump/regulator assembly hypothesis, doesn't it? If not, why then would it run fine after started? I've driven another 40 or 50 miles and it ran perfectly. What would cause a fuel starvation scenario on start?

Thanks.

Reply to
Scott Dudley

Probably best to do a fuel pressure test. Low pressure can be an odd bird. I had a 2.8 that would be hard starting off and on. Especially when warm. Took it to my mech and he found the pump was putting 2 psi to the fuel rail. He couldn't believe I drove it in. But except for the off and on and hard starting, it ran fine.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Scott Dudley wrote in news:5_- dnac92pij3_PWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@mchsi.com:

Injected or carborated? If the former cleaning the injectors would be a good bet after that, replace the gas filter. Other than checking all the fuel hoses for leaks and/or blockages there's not much else other than what was suggested by someone else. More expensive, less likely IMHO.

If carborated, naturally cleaning the carborator becomes the option.

Do both. It will only cost you time, some varsol for the carborator, or injector cleaner for the injectors and a very small amount of money.

Reply to
fred

If you've got to ask if a 2003 model has a carburetor (when just about all cars in the late 80s already had fuel injection) I don't think I need to say any more about your post.......

Reply to
Kruse

Bad regulator or a fuel leak in either line could cause it. Don't remember if the Caravan has a check valve at the pump or not.

Reply to
Steve W.

Kruse wrote in news:8fac585e-d3dc-4043-9c6a- snipped-for-privacy@a5g2000yqi.googlegroups.com:

So you have no idea how to fix it yourself or any mechanical ability. Noted.

Reply to
fred

First things first. We need to know if this problem only occurs when the engine is cold. If you can start the car with no problem once it's warmed up, you have a problem with the cold start system.

Reply to
dsi1

Your mechanical ability was noted in your "check the carburetor" post. Because I DIDN'T POST, at least the owner didn't make a fool of himself by trying to check the non-existing carburetor. A carburetor wouldn't have been put on this van 20 YEARS AGO. If you can't even fix your own vehicle, please avoid giving advice to somebody else who does have a vehicle problem.

Reply to
Kruse

A problem that I've had with older VWs is a failing accumulator causing long crank times, the accumulator holds pressure in the fuel system and if it doesn't hold pressure it can vapor lock. The workaround is to turn the key on and off several times before trying to start the engine, that will allow the fuel pump to run for ~5 sec. each time you turn the key on and several cycles of that should clear everything and allow the engine to start.

nate

Reply to
N8N