Strut Replacenments for LH 1st Generation

I'm looking to replace the struts on our 1996 Eagle Vision TSI (LH) since living in the Midwest US rust belt is taking its toll, despite a mere 69K miles on this garaged vehicle.

I'd be interested in hearing the group's recommendations, pros and cons of the different manufacturers (e.g. Gabriel versus Monroe) as well as quality/cost comparisons within a specific manufacturer (e.g. Monroe sells Regal - it's low end OEM, Sensa-Trak, and Reflex Brand - High End).

I'd also be interested in hearing whether the strut bearing plates will likely need replacement or if they are usually re-usable.

Lastly, I'd be interested in hearing the approximate cost to have all 4 struts replaced, any service chain recommendation, and the difficulty of the task. (As background, I have the service manual, but I don't currently own a spring compressor tool, although could possibly borrow one from a friend.)

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

I can't answer your other questions, but one model in the Monroe line comes pre-assembled with a new spring (may not be available to fit all cars). I'm sure it is priced accordingly, but is one way for the DIY'er without spring compressor, and just might be ideal/cost effective if you think you could use new springs too.

Bill Putney