The CROSSFIRE

I'm ready to replace my econobox for a "personal luxury coupe", and am thinking of the Crossfire.

It's a U.S. design, executed in Germany on the old SLK drive train. I really like the looks, have enjoyed driving an SLK many times, and yesterday drove a Crossfire. It would suit me fine, but...

There is a local 2006 available for $13,000. With 21,000 miles, it's been well maintained, looks new, and has no problems. That seems like a lot of car for only a little money.

What could go wrong?

Lon

Reply to
Lon

You won't find much in the way of discussion or experience here in this newsgroup for the Crossfire.

It is dimmly viewed here for what it is - a rebadged Merc.

That's probably not a bad price, assuming there really are no problems with it.

I'd get one of those third-party comprehensive history reports to make sure it really wasn't written off by an insurance company as a wreck or flood dammage.

Negative things about the crossfire:

- notable for road noise - poor rear window visibility - harsh ride on all but smooth roads (except for convertible) - some dashboard displays (radio?) not visible through polarized sunglasses - headroom and ease of enter/exit could be a problem for tall people (low seats) - low seats, high beltline, low roof, and short windows are not good for exterior visibility - Deployed spoiler (gimick) also blocks the rear view - hatchback coupes have no rear wiper - Cargo space is not great

Read more here:

-- 2004-2008 Chrysler Crossfire Prices --

Odd, no listing for 2006.

Your price ($13k) is what a good 2005 model (coupe) would sell for.

Reply to
MoPar Man

Got it. Thanks! There must have been some evolution in ride quality, as the car I drove seemed fine. I can pull the fuse on the spoiler, don't need a rear wiper in this lovely climate, am only 5' 8", and with nonpolarized sunglasses it should be ok.

The car is being sold by a widow - it was her husband's. I think she just wants out of it, and I can pay cash with no hassle.

Reply to
Lon

Out of curiosity - did you consider the Challenger?

Reply to
MoPar Man

No - it's too big to be considered a personal luxury car. I did, however, consider buying a restored T-Bird.

I like the short wheelbase Crossfire, and will spend time today trying to talk myself out of it.

Lon

Reply to
Lon

What's your opinion of the more recent edition of the T-bird (2002 -

2005) ?

Another option might be the Lincoln LS (2006 was the last model year).

MoPar Man

To me, that's an embarrassing design. I'm sure some focus group somewhere liked its looks, but it's not for me.

Well, that's an S-type Jag with different skin, and a nice car. But it's much bigger than the Crossfire.

Thanks for the helpful comments.

Reply to
Lon

I think MoPar Man's initial comment "It is dimly viewed here for what it is - a rebadged Merc" sums it up. There has been a lot negative comment here (a lot in relation to the total, which is not that much).

And that's the point. Many people here can't stomach that a beloved American brand has/had become internationalised...

I would just add that most of the 'technical' issues he raised are what you get in a sports car of this type, such as poor rear visibility and lack of cargo space.

I have a CLK Cabriolet and the salesman told me I should buy the Parktronic electronic parking sensor system because the rear window was so small. He was right and I did (buy Parktronic). Yes, I also have little cargo space (though more than I expected) etc etc, but I love it.

So, don't be put off by such things if you want a coupe, and don't be put off the Crossfire if that's what tickles your fancy.

Just review the thread that mentions warranties if Chrysler folds. (Any unexpired manufacturer's ones likely to become worthless, third-party ones not.)

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

the car is well built but most mom and pop shops can not get into the cars computer meaning it has to go to the dealer for anything other than generic codes for powertrain the car sucl in snow gets stuck real easy way to easy even with traction button on i found it works better with out it and if you want to go faster than most and get decent milage this is the car it handles really good no storage i spent 3 days in school learning this car i know it well most dealers shun the car for repairs since the techs resent the car the car is not chjeap to fix being a true mercedes with chrysler mane plates the spoiler should not be touched at all! it does what it does because the car becomes loose in the rear starting at 75 mph and is real noticable at 80 with out it

Reply to
dbrider

the car is well built but most mom and pop shops can not get into the cars computer meaning it has to go to the dealer for anything other than generic codes for powertrain the car sucl in snow gets stuck real easy way to easy even with traction button on i found it works better with out it and if you want to go faster than most and get decent milage this is the car it handles really good no storage i spent 3 days in school learning this car i know it well most dealers shun the car for repairs since the techs resent the car the car is not chjeap to fix being a true mercedes with chrysler mane plates the spoiler should not be touched at all! it does what it does because the car becomes loose in the rear starting at 75 mph and is real noticable at 80 with out it

Reply to
dbrider

well im from the UK and i have had a Crossfire Roadster for 14 months, just had a service and MOT as you say the its built on the SLK with a body made by Chrysler. its my dream car, and i love driving it, gets loads of looks as you can drive for hours and not see another one. Goes like a rocket, but is not very Petrol Friendly as it eats it!!

mind you i know you lot have been moaning about the price rises, try our UK prices, and than you wont moan

"Touch Wood" the car is running fine, and its a 2005 and done 33thousand miles.

It is a lot of car for the money, but its not cheap to run, over in the UK its in the highest Tax bracket which is £400 per year for road tax, around $450 i think

but as they say "Life is for Living" so what the heck, and the other half loves the open top experience with her hair blowing and being in a Sports Car

its a stunning motor, i love it

Before the Crossfire i have had many Toyota's

Supra 2.8i Supra 3.0 MR2 than a 4x4

But for me the Crossfire is the best car i have ever had, and Red is by far the best looking colour

Reply to
Larry