To Shrink a U.S. Car, Chrysler Goes to Poland

To Shrink a U.S. Car, Chrysler Goes to Poland

TYCHY, Poland ? For decades, automakers looking for the secret to small-car success would journey to Toyota City in Japan. These days, they are coming to Tychy.

Since Fiat effectively took over Chrysler this year, engineers from Detroit have been making monthly pilgrimages here to see something they can only envy: an auto plant that is hiring workers and earning a profit.

The mammoth Fiat plant here, which churned out nearly half a million cars last year, may hold some of the answers for Chrysler (as well as Ford Motor and General Motors), as it struggles to regain its footing after its bankruptcy and reduce its dependence on muscle-bound trucks and sport utility vehicles.

For those who remember Fiat before its ignominious retreat from the American market ? the name was said to stand for ?Fix It Again, Tony? ? the Italian automaker may seem an unlikely role model. It left the United States in the early 1980s after widespread quality problems.

But Fiat itself has undergone a revolution under Sergio Marchionne, who became its chief executive in 2004, raising standards for quality and reliability at plants like Tychy and mastering the art of building smaller cars with high efficiency. Chrysler hopes he can do the same thing for it now that he has assumed control of the American company.

?We are lucky there is a crisis,? said the director of the Tychy plant, Zdzislaw Arlet, unable to resist a gibe at the bigger cars and trucks that have traditionally stolen the industry spotlight. ?Everybody wants to build small cars now.?

At Tychy (pronounced TICK-ee), one secret is flexibility: The latest robotic technology is balanced by workers who can quickly shift models to match demand. That is one reason Tychy is operating around the clock, six days a week, while most other auto plants in Europe and the United States are running at a fraction of capacity, increasing costly nonproductive downtime.

Indeed, for visiting Chrysler engineers, going to Tychy is akin to an aging heavyweight boxer stepping into a gym where more agile bantamweight fighters train.

Chrysler?s smallest car, the Dodge Caliber compact, is one-third heavier (about 1,000 pounds) than the fast-selling Fiat 500, which is made exclusively at Tychy.

Fiat executives say their goal is not only to produce subcompact European models at Chrysler?s North American plants ? but also for Chrysler managers to learn how to speed the introduction of smaller cars in the United States that Americans will want to buy, like a new version of the Sebring, while increasing efficiency the way Fiat has at Tychy.

Chrysler?s offerings, unlike those from Fiat, have long been dominated by Jeeps and S.U.V.?s and big trucks like the Dodge Ram, with cars making up just 30 percent of Chrysler?s worldwide sales last year. As bigger vehicles fell out of favor because of high gasoline prices and the recession, Chrysler?s overall sales dived, falling 44 percent in the first half of 2009 compared with the period a year earlier.

?It?s very difficult to go from big to small, but they are here to compare and learn,? Mr. Arlet said as he walked amid the sparks thrown off by robots along his production lines. ?This plant was designed to produce small cars.?

The ideal combination of automated robots and individual workers has been critical to Tychy?s success, said Ron Harbour, an American industry consultant with Oliver Wyman, a consulting firm. Success is not as simple as the more robots, the better.

?With people, you can change the mix in one day or one week,? Mr. Harbour said, referring to the models a production line churns out. ?You can?t do that with robots.?

The Tychy plant employs about 5,000 people, including about 1,700 hired last year to make more Fiats, as well as the Ford Ka.

Tychy?s huge scale ? it covers more than 4.3 million square feet ? also works to its advantage.

Although exact benchmarks are difficult, Mr. Harbour mentions Chrysler?s plant in Belvidere, Ill., as a comparable site, since it produces smaller cars. But its annual production capacity of 265,000 is just over half of the plant at Tychy.

Mr. Arlet is also constantly on the lookout for time- and money-saving improvements, adding that he himself looks to Toyota?s famous Kaizen system for inspiration: Instead of filling up cars at different production points with brake fluid, gasoline, water and other liquids, one machine on each of Tychy?s three lines fills each vehicle.

?A car comes off the assembly line every 55 seconds,? Mr. Arlet said. ?In 1996, it took twice as long.?

Along with the new technology came a new focus on quality. About three years ago, workers were assigned an individual identification number that is stamped on whatever sections of the car they assemble so any problems at the end of the line can be traced to the source.

As a result, Mr. Arlet said, the number of cars coming off the line with defects has fallen from 20 percent in 1996 to just 4 percent now ? a figure Mr. Harbour said compared favorably to factories in the United States or Western Europe.

?At the moment, Tychy is the best of Fiat as far as quality is concerned,? said Giuseppe Volpato, a professor of economics at the University of Venice who has long studied the company. ?I think Poland is becoming the reference point for the whole organization, even in Italy.?

For Mr. Marchionne, turning around Chrysler will probably be harder than getting Fiat back on track. Chrysler not only relies on trucks and S.U.V.?s, it derives 75 percent of its sales from the now-moribund American market.

At the same time, Chrysler is facing increased pressure from Ford, as well as G.M., which emerged from bankruptcy last week. And of course, the original high-quality, small-car brands, like Toyota and Honda, remain fierce competitors, even if Toyota is suffering great losses of its own.

Partly because of the need to move quickly, the pace of cultural exchanges like the visits to Tychy has quickened since Chrysler emerged from bankruptcy on June 10. Fiat took a 20 percent stake in return for technology and know-how that the Italian automaker says is worth $10 billion in lieu of any cash.

Not only engineers and line managers are heading to Europe for the grand tour ? so is the top brass.

Late last month, the executives responsible for Chrysler?s three brands, along with the heads of manufacturing, engineering and styling, traveled to a proving ground halfway between Milan and Turin for a weekend of meetings and motoring with their Italian counterparts.

Back in Tychy, Mr. Arlet seemed amazed at the tectonic shift under way in the global auto industry, with Americans coming to Poland in search of the secrets of carmaking, rather than the other way around.

With a confident smile, he declared, ?I am looking forward to when the Fiat 500 is made in the U.S.A. and also made here, and we can compare.?

Reply to
Jim Higgins

The Fiat 500 weighs about 2100 lbs:

The Caliber weighs about 2900 lbs.

So yes, for it's size the Caliber is heavy, in keeping with the design tendencies of Chrysler's former owner (Daimer) to build more weight into their products than is necessary.

Americans will not buy these motorized coffins.

Especially when they continue to see crash test video of them bouncing off the average sedan, pickup truck or SUV.

Anyone see a pattern here?

For the past 5 years, Chrysler was Daimler's dumping ground for old E-class suspension and drivetrain components. Looks like Fiat will now force-feed Chrysler it's micro-car parts inventory (and make some nice cash doing it) while those cars languish in dealer inventory as they fail to sell.

Yes, you'll have plenty of time to compare the build quality of the US-made Fiat 500. You'll have plenty of time to stare at it because it won't move off the lot.

Reply to
MoPar Man

It will be interesting to see a FIAT 500 in an American-sized on-street car parking space. You can probably fit two in. Jokes will follow...

It's many years ago now and things have moved on in the US (more smaller cars) but I still recollect with some amusement my first sight of a 'large' Jaguar in a New York on-street parking space soon after my first arrival in the USA. My, was it small in relation to the space it was in and the cars either side... :-)

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

"Dori A Schmetterling" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net:

And many Americans still have that "mine-is-bigger-than-yours" mentality. They want the largest thing they can buy. Which is exactly whats wrong with American cars. As soon as fuel prices started dropping, the sales of small cars stopped and larger cars, SUV's and large pickups started to increase. They didn't increase a lot due to the economy but never the less, it shows how short sighted many are.

Reply to
CopperTop

Your average middle-class US family does not want to drive a motorized coffin.

Maybe they'll buy it as a second car. But not their primary vehicle.

Blame urban residential planning, the desire to have a large home and property, the desire to be ultra-mobile, to tolerate long distance commutes, the lack of public transit in the US in urban or city-to-city high speed rail.

All that leads to a car culture in the US which is vastly different than in Europe or the UK.

And they won't put their family in a vehicle they think makes them vulnerable in a collision.

The market for new compact cars in the US is limited to the under 25 and (maybe) the over 55 demographic. You won't make money selling sub compacts in the US like you can in Europe.

Chrysler had sub-compact concept cars for years. They have (or maybe they had) the engineering talent to make it happen at least 3 years ago.

Sub-compact cars are not rocket science. What Chrysler needs is a better sedan platform. The LX is not the platform for the next decade.

Chrysler will not make money selling Fiat's subcompact car, because Fiat will siphon any possible profit away from Chrysler.

Chrysler can only make money on Jeep, Ram, their minivans and a decent sedan. If they had brains, they'd bring back the LH platform. Even the caliber makes them money.

Reply to
MoPar Man

This reminds me of the lady on a car radio talk show, who defended her decision to buy a fair sized SUV to defend herself from all the semi trucks on the highway. She was correctly told, "your big SUV won't help you against those monster vehicles". IMO the key in minor crashes is a good crush zone, which isn't available in a minimum sized car. For major crashes, just pray.

Assuming there is a profit. The problem is see is will NORTH Americans fit into the Fiats. Many women yes, many men no. My retired Chinese friend from Hong Kong would fit, but he isn't interested in such a small car to replace his oldie run forever Corolla. He's looking at the Ford Fusion, Nissan Altima size, whatever that is called today.

Nope I like the LH, having two, but I'm looking for a smaller sedan. So are many others looking for something smaller and more fuel efficient in town. The Sebring is the right overall size, but many aspects of it I don't like. The Caliper looks like a squashed truck so I pass on it. The Compass has a good profile, but that Jeep front turns me off.

Just for the hell of it I recently had a look at Honda's as I walked by the dealer. The Civic is now a reasonable sized car, but still a good price. It could be a possibility if I needed a car now, which I don't.

Reply to
Josh S