Town & Country 2006 Power Outlet ???

What do I do to make the Town & Country 2006 Power Outlets come on all the time?

Right now they come on with the ignition, which is not right with cell phones, GPSrs, etc.

Thanks,

Rick Richardson

Reply to
rickrich

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1162995367.298318.35690 @m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

If you have the overhead console you can select the outlets to be powered on full time versus via the key. You should have some outlets marked with a key and some with a battery, once selected, the battery ones will remain powered full-time.

Reply to
Steph

Not true!! Under the hood in the Black fuse/relay box called the Power Distribution Center is where you make this setting. you will see a fuse that has ign on one side and battery on the other side. Take that fuse out of the slot that says ign and slide it over to where it says battery. That's it!!

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

"maxpower" wrote in news:0_KdnSIGx6XI18_YnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Thanks for correcting me Glenn. I was only trying to help

Reply to
Steph

Dont cry Steph its ok. Besides,it did sound good!!

Reply to
damnnickname

Okay...so I'm old-fashioned and I don't use any of these things. But there's something I don't understand. Surely at some point one or more family members will exit the turned-off vehicle and forget to take their turned-on devices with them. Does anyone know how long the drain on the battery can be sustained and still start the engine when needed? I can just see one of the kids leaving there portable DVD player going all night long and then Dad wanting to go to work the next day and wondering why all he hears is click-click. And I'm not sure I understand why a cell phone MUST be plugged in when the vehicle is off. If it gets used a lot, surely the owner charges it regularly and a charge last for several hours at least, right?

Reply to
GrtArtiste

Ok Dad, tell the kids one time. If you leave the devices on and cause my battery to die just one time there wont be a second chance!! The power outlet on the instrument panel marked with a battery receives battery voltage from a fuse in the IPM at all times. The other power outlet on the instrument panel marked with a key receives battery voltage only when the key is in the on position. The power outlet located in the center console receives battery voltage all the time when positioned between the front seats and key-on voltage when positioned between the rear seats. The power outlet located on the C-pillar receives battery voltage only when the key is in the ON position.

Glenn Beasley

Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Days, possibly weeks. We're talking a current drain down in the milliamp range.

Well, smart people do it that way. Dumb people forget to charge it, then have to have it on a cord while trying to talk...which obviates the benefit of a cell phone in the first place.

Reply to
DeserTBoB

The correct answer is: "It depends on the current being drawn by the device that was left plugged in and draining the battery."

You can estimate the time if you know the battery's capacity (in Amp-Hours). Depending on the outside temperature, I'd suspect starting problems after depleting about 40-50% of a new battery rating. I say this since a new battery's capacity decreases over time and with temperature too.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

A vehicle that has not been touched for aprox 20 days will have a battery discharged due to normal draw on the battery. It takes about 25 miliamps to enable memory to operate the memory functions of certain modules. As Bob says. depending on what is left on will determine how long the battery will stay charged.

Reply to
maxpower

I did that (fuse to BAT) and the Left Rear Seat Power Outlet changed to work off the battery. Good!

But the dashboard Power Outlet did not change - it is still connected to the IGN. Of course, this is the one I want to change to BAT! Cell Phone plugs in here and 10 minute drive to work doesn't cut it for a charge! I want to leave it in the car overnight for charging.

My Ford Windstar (1995 R.I.P.) kept the Power Outlets on all the time.

Rick Richardson

Reply to
Rick Richardson

Rick read my reply on 11/09

Reply to
maxpower

There is only *one* Power Outlet on the dashboard, not two. How do I make it power from BAT instead of IGN?

Reply to
Rick Richardson

You would probably have to hard wire it to the battery circuit with a fuse

Reply to
maxpower

You want to leave your cell phone in your car to charge overnight?

I sure hope you have it in a locked garage where there is no public access (as opposed to parked on the street, or in a "secure" underground parkade!)

Where I am, you would be ask>maxpower wrote:

Reply to
NewMan