transmission and throttle position sensor in 93 dakota?

Hi folks-

I recently bought a 93 dakota (extended cab, v6, 4x4, auto) to use as a work truck. Needed new shocks in front and brakes, which I put in without any trouble - it's a nice roomy car to work on. Otherwise it's been pretty dependable engine-wise.

It's started developing an intermittent tranny problem, though. When I got it on the highway after I bought it, I noticed that it tended to shift down into third a lot when going up minor hills. Now it's started to not want ot go into fourth at all. I'll get it every once in a while, but mostly it's driving in third. Bad on gas mileage.

The previous owner said he had the tranny rebuilt a year or so ago. I noticed that the transmission fluid level was very high, so I pumped out a quart or so to get it into the right area on the dipstick. It's made no difference. The button that should disable OD is missing from the dash. The tranny shifts smoothly in every other gear and reverse.

So any thoughts on what might be causing this? I've read that the throttle position sensor can cause problems going into 4th gear. Could this be the trouble for a 93? Any procedure on how to test it? Does this truck store codes? First Dodge - still learning my way around it.

TIA Chris In the Land of Rust (central NY)

Reply to
starburst

philthy

Thanks for the response, philth. I tried the "turn on off on off on" to blink the codes, but got nothing, so I'm assuming there are no codes stored. Is there a scanner port on the 93 Dakota?

Today I drained and refilled with the latest Chrysler ATF and put in a new filter. It took alot of fluid (1 1/2 gallons without draining the diff or torque converter), so I'm assuming that someone put in a deeper pan. The tranny also looked good inside - no visible signs of wear, no chunks in the pan...etc. Just a little bit of metal filings on the magnet.

Also tried disconnecting the battery for a while to see if the tcu might reset itself, but no dice. Yesterday I had OD, today I didn't. Temperature and load seem to make no difference.

I can drive it in third - mostly I want to use it for bringing supplies to a house my wife and I are renovating, and hauling debris away. But I'd sure like to find an answer. The car sat for several months without being driven, if that matters.

Could it be maybe a solenoid?

Anybody?

Reply to
starburst