Transmission Noise

My 2 Chrysler vehicles, one with 40,000 miles and the other with 70,000 miles, make a slight but noticeable noise when one's foot is on the gas but the noise goes away when the foot is off the gas. Is this normal and what is the source of the noise. (Both get recommend changes of +4 fluid and filters).

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

The engine?

Reply to
Art

Normal? For Chrysler it is. When I bought brand new a Dodge slant six,

225 cubic inch engine, I misread the manual. Duh. So I went too fast during the 500 mile break-in period.

I made that transmission whine also. I sold car with 130,000 miles on it. No work ever done on the transmission or engine. A drive shaft was replaced under a warranty recall, thanks to a great dealer mechanic. Only oil changes. It was used then as a cross-country touring car for a visiting Dutch criminologist and his lovely wife.

My present Plymouth Voyager also whines.

You can do what I did. Had an excellent mechanic listen to it. He used to build racing cars and said, yes it's there, but don't worry about it. Do you have a really superb mechanic you can take your car to for a quick listen to?

Reply to
treeline12345

The problem on both cars became noticeable when I put on Goodyear TripleTread tires; they failed to mask the transmission noise with road noise. One of those "unintended consequences". My Chrysler dealer tells me the noise in both cars is "normal". Perhaps Chrysler will address this when they put out a new transmission.

Richard.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

I hope not, a new transmission design is needed like a lead balloon. Why toss tried and true designs. You talk about putting out a new trans like it's as easy as putting out new fall colors in the dress lineup.

My 84 chevy trans whined right after I bought it, (used) I always thought it sounded kind of cool. I was disappointed when the whine went away after a trans fluid flush and a few years of hard driving on it. That was about 2 years ago, and sadly the whine has shown no signs of coming back.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt