Transmission Troubles 1999 Intrepid

I have an 1999 Intrepid ES with a 3.2 engine and about 81,000 kilometers of gentle city driving.

The car was running like a clock until this morning when I drove it out of the garage. When I put it into drive, the transmission shifted very hard, with an audible clunk. After I drove off, everything seemed fine until I got to a stop light and noticed that when I accelerated away from it, the shift was hard and a I felt a clunk. Then, the 'check engine' light came on and the car seemed stuck in 2nd gear. I continued to drive it about a mile to the Chrysler dealer and left it there.

Can anyone give me a clue as to what may have happened and how difficult it is to repair (I trust what is said here and would like to have some kind of clue before I walk into the dealer to pick the car up.....not that it will make any difference).

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Arthur

Most likely a very common and inexpensive to fix problem of a bad transmission speed sensor - there are two. If your speedometer still works when the problem is present, then it's the input sensor that is bad. If speedometer is flaky or not working, then it's the output sensor. Each sensor is around $25, and it's about a 20 minute job for the DIY'er the first time. Must jack it up and crawl unde vehicle to replace sensors from driver's side. I'm guessing dealer will charge $100 to $150 to replace a sensor - partrs and labor.

If you do take it to a dealer, and you tell them to replace one of the sensors, don't let them charge you a diagnostic fee. However, if you ask them to diagnose it to be sure that's what it is , then they can charge you for the doagnosis - but only if that's the case.

Bill Putney

Thanks Bill. As I mentioned in my post, I drove to a Chrysler dealer and they charged me a $99 (CDN) fee as soon as I mentioned "transmission". I don't believe I had a choice and even then, I had no idea what the problem was. The speedometer was working and I was told I'd have to wait at least three days for the car. So far, nothing unexpected. Many thanks for your input.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur