Urgent: '02 300M instrument cluster removal

At least I found a service manual and discovered that I have to remove the whole instrument cluster to replace a bulb -- so I'll replace all of them while I'm about it.

OK, I've removed the bezel and the two screws (is that all there are? -- the manual doesn't say) holding the instrument cluster in place, but what do I get hold of to disengage it from the clips and connector? The manual says it takes 9Kg (30lb), but I can't get my fingers around the back to pull it free.

Any special tricks or tools?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Make two hooks using coat hanger wire - make the other end of the wire a "T" shape to grip with your hands. Feed the hook ends between the cluster and the dash on the left and right of the cluster to hook at the back edges of the cluster, and pull - it will come out - maybe kind of suddenly, so brace yourself.

Make sure you removed the two screws at the bottom of the cluster -

*not* the two screws that just hold the lens to the cluster. You probably removed the right ones, but just thought I'd mention that to make sure.
Reply to
Bill Putney

I did in the meantime manage to get a better grip, and it came out, but one of the fastener tabs (the tabs projecting rearwards from the instrument cluster housing and which then carry the metal clips) broke off. I may still have some suitable plastic cement that hasn't already hardened in the tube, otherwise it'll just have to survive short of one clip.

Have you ever replaced any of these bulbs? Did you find that the leads of the #74s were wrapped around the contacts and spot welded? Or was I supposed to use some special over-priced Mopar-branded "plug and light" bulb/holder assemblies?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I've never had to replace any bulbs. But if you go to the 300M Enthusiasts Club forums

, I know that has been discussed. If there is a good inexpensive alternative, I'm sure they have that answer. Make a reasonable effort using the search function there, and if no success, start your own thread and ask.

Reply to
Bill Putney