Mazda/Ranger truck: Remove instrument cluster

Okay, I tried and am stumped.

Need to pull the instrument cluster on a 1997 Mazda B4000 truck to replace burned out instrument light bulb.

The instrument cluster is surrounded by a black plastic bezel that is secured by three hex-head screws that screw up into the dashboard, above the steering column. I figured I could pull these three screws, the bezel would pull out, and I could then get the instrument cluster out -- probably have to remove some screws to get the instrument cluster out.

That's not the way it appears to work. I removed the three screws and tried to slip a thin knife blade between the black bezel and the dash cover to pop out the bezel -- nothing doing. It seems as though the black bezel is part of the dash cover. In fact, it looks as though I need to remove the entire dash cover to the left of the radio, beneath the horizontal part of the dash, between the radio and the left edge of the dash.

To remove the instrument cluster, do I need to: pull radio knobs; get faceplate off the radio; remove the dash cover to the left of the radio; pull the cover off the turn signals/wiper switch; etc., etc., etc. ???

Thanks.

Reply to
Joe S.

Now, I'm not sure how close the interior of your Mazda is to my Ranger, but when I did my 97, I'm pretty sure I had to remove some other minor trim pieces. Maybe the radio/heater bezel, or the part over where the headlight switch is. Again, I'm not sure how similar the Mazda is to my truck, cosmetically.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Thanks -- the Mazda and the Ranger are twins, so, it's probably the same thing. I'll tackle it again Friday, start early.

Life was so much more simple with my old VW Beetle.

Things aren't like they used to be -- and never were.

Joe

Reply to
Joe S.