Want to replace carpet padding with ... ?

Problem: car had a musty odor because the factory carpet rubber backing between the carpet and Jute padding cracked and let water migrate into the Jute padding. The pulled Jute padding was like placing a saturated piece of padding into a Zip-Lock bag and permanently sealing it. The odor was REALLY bad.

My only solution was to completely remove the entire carpet from the car. Not a fun job, so I want to do it right when I replace it into the car.

My goal is to re-seal the rubber cracks, then replace the padding with something that is heat resistant, sound proofing, and will not absorb and retain water as the Jute does. Something synthetic that will not mold, etc.

I would install a new carpet, but they all have the Jute padding - so I would just be back where I am now - in a short time. I need to do a custom job. My old carpet is in great shape, looks new - it only need new padding.

Here is the plan: find a material with a foil backing, made from 100% synthetic material, that is suitable for the high heat floor pan. Something that will feel like padding, reflect heat, reflect sound, and not deteriorate with heat.

I have no problem cutting and gluing multiple layers of the selected material.

QUESTION: what product do I use, and where do I go to get it?

THANKS, Gene

Here are some links I found:

Thermal/ acoustic insulation:

This one looks good on paper. Claims to be mold and mildew proof ?
3/8" thickWeight (approximate) 3.3-oz/sq.ft.Acoustical NCR of .63Tear strength of 125 lbs.Mold and mildew proofNeedle punched synthetic fiberFire Retardant Reflects 97% of infrared energy Insulation "R" factor of 18.3

This one looks interesting: Made from coarse denier non-woven polyester fiber.

Gene

was going to suggest Dynamat:

But that one you linked to in the ebay auction is much thicker. The only advantage to the Dynamat, I would imagine, is the self- adhesive nature of it.. however, they don't mention how difficult it is to remove the stuff, should you need to in the future.

Reply to
Nza

How about roofing felt--the black stuff that comes in rolls and different thicknesses & goes on roof-sheeting and under the shingles?. They get HOT! Cheap, too. s

Reply to
sdlomi2