Sound deadening materials

I have a n Astra esytate, and my wife has a Micra S, both the base models - so could do with a bit of noise suppression (road noise on both, underbonnet noise on the Mica on the motorway.

Does anyone know of commercially-available sound deadening kits? - used to be able to get this stuff years ago, but ....

Reply to
R. Murphy

... and I also have no spill choker, before I get the wisecricks

Reply to
R. Murphy

In message , R. Murphy writes

BJ acoustics do kits and sheet materials.

Paul Giverin

Practical Motorist used to have an advert for 'Interior Silent Travel'. Sheets of adhesive fibre material and lead sheet. Personally I'd just turn the radio up. DaveK.

Reply to
DaveK

For a kit of the material cut to shape so you just glue it on the bonnet, slide it under the carpets etc, then bj acoustics are your people, not cheap tho.

if you can work a pair of scisors, and have a little time on your hands, then you can buy the sheet material from places like wollies trim, i bought my sound dedaning stuff from them, i was quietning an iveco turbodaily, a ready made kit cost closr to £200, and didn't include the part i really neaded.. behind the engine (i had the engine out at the time), so i bought a sheet of very high heat thick insulation from wollies, this stuff has a silver foil type stuff on the engine side, 1/2 inch thick closed cell foam in the middle, and self adeshive backing, it was expensive at about £40 for a 1 meter square, but it did all my engine bay and over the gear box, and it really made a differance, i was amazed at how well it worked,

i also bought some of the horse hair type material.. the old fassioned sound proofing material, like thick carpet underlay, but it's fire proof, that was a more reasonable 7 or 8 quid for about a 1.5 meter square, also they do very high heat spray glue for about 6 quid,

For something with a small non hot running engine, the horse hair type stuff (you'll know what i mean when you see it) is fine for doing the bonnet etc, i used the silvered stuff around the back of the engine and over the turbo on my van, as it gets very hot there,

you can also buy the horse hair type stuff from halfrauds, at a price tho, i think they wanted about 20 quid for the non fire proof stuff, which is fine for under the carpets, but not under the bonnet, a local car spares shop called allwoods sell the fireproof and non fireproof stuff for about a tenner, but woolies are still the best i rekon.

they are based near marked deeping.. stamford way, but do mail order and go to autojumbles all the time,

will give you more info.

Reply to
CampinGazz

Just a note of caution - Don't do it on the cheap. Someone who will remain nameless[1] decided their car was a little on the loud side. Instead of investing in proper sound-deadening materials (or even earplugs) he decided to come up with his own material. Straw. Well, why not? It seemed to do the job and is also fairly light-weight. Everything was going so well until smoke started coming from the bonnet on (IIRC) a motorway. Now, normally, you'd pull over and possibly call the Fire service. Not this guy. He heroically drove on until he found somewhere (which will also remain nameless) where he could stop and possibly find an extinguisher. After parking carefully between two cars(!) he went and got a nice, full extinguisher..... Only to find that his car was fully ablaze and the other two were looking somewhat unwell.

[1] No, really, *not* me. I know flammable materials when I see them.

Tom (Who hopes this person doesn't read this group) :-)

Reply to
Tom Saul