where to buy left hand thread lugs?

Hi all,

looking to mount some wheels on my old Studebaker - they used the same lugs as Chrysler did. (1/2-20 RH and LH.) I am using for now at least a mix and match set of wheels, two Ford and two MoPar. Apparently the Ford wheels used a lug nut with a 13/16" hex and I am hesitant to use the smaller 3/4" hex Stude/MoPar lugs on them in case that might cause a problem. In my friend's garage I found *five* chrome lug nuts,

1/2-20LH. That solved my immediate problem, but I would like to run the same hex size on all wheels so I only have to carry one lug wrench. I'm trying to find five more of these nuts and am coming up dry! Year One has them for $25 for five, Summit Racing sells Gorilla lug nuts for under $5 for four, but when I tried to order them they want to charge me *more* in shipping and handling than they are worth! Jeg's doesn't carry them apparently. Anyone know where I can get these for less than an arm and a leg, or is there a parts store chain that carries Gorilla products?

thanks!

nate

Reply to
N8N

Do it the easy way. Press out the studs and install RH studs so you can use standard chrome wheel nuts. Even locking nuts if you want.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce
Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Yeah, I know, I guess I was skipping a few steps mentally there... but the point is that it is the 13/16" hex ones that I want.

Cool! how did you find that though? the keyword search on Dorman's site seems to be fairly useless, although it does show me good numbers for the 3/4" hex version when I search for my vehicle. However I did manage to take your part number and find that it was used on old Jeeps and IH which is good to know, it may prove useful someday. I don't remember my dad's old Scout having LH lugs though... maybe it had already had its first brake job before he got it?

That said, I would prefer to use something like the chromed ones that were used for, say, Rallye wheels as I can get the RH versions all day every day at my local Crap Boys for the same price as the factory ones and I would prefer to use those, especially with the cop car hubcaps which can let water in. (I don't have any hubcaps at all for the moment, which is another good reason to use chromed ones) Having grown up in PA, I'm just a leetle bit paranoid about things corroding. Yes, I use stainless fasteners and anti-seize on nearly everything I touch. I thank myself every time I have to disassemble something for the second time :) I only wish the guy that had owned my car before me had been similarly inclined - cheap, non-heat treated bolts, hot engine, and lots of time do not make for easy disassembly. Thank goodness I managed to save a decent set of drill bits from the scrap pile at my last job :/

nate

Reply to
N8N

I'm almost there, but I don't have the tools to swage the drums and hubs back together.

nate

Reply to
N8N

I'd take that task to a machine shop.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Dorman catalogue on the shelf behind me.

Dorman's entire site is useless.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Its getting harder to find them... hence I'm gradually converting all my Mopars to right-hand lugs and nuts :-/ Except the '49, since it uses

*bolts* not studs and nuts. Don't want to change axle hubs....

However, if you want to use left-handers, Year One has them:

Steve

And I brilliantly responded:

Sometimes it doesn't pay to post until the brain wakes up....

Reply to
Steve

Why? I generally do it right on the car.Hammer, punch, wrench and a few washers, a good gob of grease and a little bit of time is all it generally takes. Change the studs one at a time.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

I HAVE seen "conversion studs" that thread into the hub LH, with red locktite, and take RH nuts.I've also seen the hubs drilled and studs pulled in. (In fact I've done it). It is the simplest way to get away from LH Lug Bolts on early Mopars and Hudsons. (I think they were left hand - I put studs in the Terraplane instead of bolts anyway)

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

My first reaction is "eww!, I don't want to depend on loctite quite that much!" My 49 is so rarely driven that I have no problem leaving it set up for bolts. If I were actually going to put any miles on it, the FIRST thing I'd do would be to lose the tapered rear axles anyway. You shouldn't have to break out a BFPuller just to change rear brake shoes...

Reply to
Steve

yeah, those are problematic on Studes too. Apparently when you pump a lot of HP through them they tend to split just inside the hub...

nate

Reply to
N8N

I put a '63 rear end in my '53. Almost a bolt in, except for the drive shaft.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

It SHOULD be a bolt-in... they're both the same basic rear-end design which went on to become the "8-3/4" of the muscle-car era. IIRC, given the right housing width you can just swap axles, not the whole housing.

Reply to
Steve

The 53 had the old sliding trunnion "U" joints and the tapered shaft axles, as well as "center plane" brakes. Car also had driveshaft parking brake. Replacement had normal integral flange axles, Bendix brakes, cross and roller type "U" joints, and provisions for parking brake on the rear. I think it took me about 3 hours to switch it over, on jack stands - then I had a driveshaft made by a local shop. Shaft was not true- shook something awfull - so I had to true it up myself - weekend before I left for the East Coast with it - so I could not take the shaft back to the "butchers" that made it for me.

Wish I still had that car - 1953 Coronet Sierra wagon - Hemi with Overdrive. Was the only one registered in Canada, and it apparently returned to California last year with a 6 figure price tag.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Just as a follow up, I never did find an inexpensive source for them, but I just won 20 of them on eBay for under $20 with shipping. So I will probably never need to look for any of them ever again :)

nate

Reply to
N8N

The driveshaft P-brake and ball/trunion U-joints were used through '62.

Replacement had normal integral flange axles, Bendix

Sounds about right- not a HUGE project, but not quite bolt-in either. I didn't mean to type that it should literally be a bolt-in, I left out the word "almost," as I was meaning to agree with you entirely.

Reply to
Steve

I was thinking the "Leftorium" but NAPA will work.

Bush

Reply to
Bushleague