Windshield Wiper Delay - Random at best

'99 Chrysler Town & Country with funking wiper delay system. On normal or full speed, the wipers work fine. When moved to slightly delayed, (~1 or 2 seconds delay between swipes), still no problem. However, as the control is moved to more delay, the delay may work for a few swipes but then stop working. When shut off, they may swipe 2-3 times before turning off. Lately if I can get it to operate with more than 2 second delay, it will randomly double swipe.

I assume this is a delay timing circuit problem. Can anyone tell me if this is reasonable for me to attempt to repair, or is this an issue for the Chrysler dealer?

Reply to
Tom Raab

I had similar problems on my 96 (should be the same). First the park switch, inside the motor, gets dirty/corroded and does not pass the correct information to the BCM to tell it when the blades are in the park position. Motor replacement is an OK DIY job. A bit involved in that you have to remove the entire wiper tray to get the motor out. No real special tools required. However, the new replacement motor was redesigned somewhat to facilitate future removals without wiper tray removal, replacing the studs and nuts, with bolts and nut inserts to reverse the side it bolts on from. This required a bit of drilling to remove old studs, repositioning/drilling of mount holes and installing the captive nuts. Yours may not require this, as it was likely a production line change - but I don't know when.

Also the turn signal wiper multi function switch unit is known to suffer from similar problems getting dirty/corroded inside and therefore does not pass the correct resistance for time delay control to the BCM. A more often symptom of this though is that the delay times are just not correct, or don't work at all. there is a resistance check with values in the manual that you can do to check out the control switch. Not to bad to replace. Remove steering column upper and lower trim covers. A couple of screws hold it in, and the wiring connectors for the wash/wipe and turn signal, high beam etc. It is a much quicker job than the motor.

I had both of mine go bad, and have replaced both (at different times) myself a couple of years back. Replacing one fixed some of the symptoms, replacing the other got the wipers to act normal again. Your problem sounds very similar to mine, and displays symptoms that could be caused by either or both units.

A good multi meter will go a long ways to testing the multi function switch and also the park switch in the motor.

Reply to
Mike Martin

Our '98 Grand Caravan Sport does this intermittently and has for several years. From the twiddle factor (works again if twiddled), I'm guessing it's a dirty contact inside the stalk.

- Bob

Tom Raab wrote:

Reply to
RWM

| > '99 Chrysler Town & Country with funking wiper delay system. | > On normal or full speed, the wipers work fine. When moved to slightly | > delayed, (~1 or 2 seconds delay between swipes), still no problem. | > However, as the control is moved to more delay, the delay may work for a | > few swipes but then stop working. When shut off, they may swipe 2-3 | > times before turning off. Lately if I can get it to operate with more | > than 2 second delay, it will randomly double swipe. | >

| > I assume this is a delay timing circuit problem. Can anyone tell me if | > this is reasonable for me to attempt to repair, or is this an issue for | > the Chrysler dealer?

I believe there is a TSB on this problem.

Reply to
James C. Reeves