Advice sought on Xantia 1999 HDi 2.0 igintion key.

Hi, I have been told by a friend that his father's car key, similar to my one, went flat and it cost him 'enough' to get it fixed.

To forestall a future problem, any information about this type of key would be appreciated. I do not see any way to gain access into the fob, so wonder whether it is battery operated and if so how would that be changed. Does it even need one? Reg

Reply to
Reg M

Reg M ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Sounds more like it lost synch with the car's immobiliser.

There's two components in a late Xant's key.

Firstly, the remote locking. That uses a battery. Secondly, the immobiliser. That doesn't - there's a passive transponder in there which is powered by induction from the sensor in the steering column.

I suspect your friend's father's key problem was the latter.

Change the batteries in the key every handful of years, and you'll be fine on the former. My own '96 XM has the same batteries in the key now as it did when I bought it in '00 - and I doubt they'd been replaced before then.

Reply to
Adrian

There is a battery in the fob to operate the remote locking. If this went flat, as it will after an extended period, it will cost the exhorbitant sum of less than £3 to replace. All car spares places stock them, as do many larger supermarkets. To open the fob insert a knife blade between the halves where the key ring attaches and twist. If there is a screw holding the metal key into the fob then that should be removed first. There are several types of battery, just check the number on the one in yours to ensure you buy the correct replacement. Of course you can take it to your dealer to get this done, and pay them many times more for the service.

Reply to
Brian

Thanks Guys, Have spotted the join and will prize the halves apart and take a look. Reg

Reply to
Reg M