Peugeot 406 Key Fob

I?m looking to see if a keyfob is available for my Peugeot 406 2.0 LX

1996/P.

I?ve been told by my very unhelpful Peugeot dealer that they can only supply the fob if I can unclip my courtesy light and read off a number on a sticker on the sensor.

I?ve looked (and in the process snapped off the lugs on the courtesy light panel - Doh!), but all that?s there is the wiring loom for the two lights and the base of the aerial. Does this mean I?ve not got it installed on this car, or am I looking in the wrong place. They also told me it?s infrared - surely that can?t be the case? My experience of this is that it?s of very limited range and unreliable for outdoor use.

If it?s not installed, how difficult would it be to fit a receiver that I would raid from a scrapyard? Can one be fitted from a dead Pug or is it a major job (ie reprogramming the ECU or changing it!). I?ve got no problem with removing panels or lining if that?s what?s involved.

Reply to
dazza12

So why is this unhelpful? If you want a key to work your car then it does have to be matched to the code embedded in the rooflining receiver.

IR is the reliable one. Radio units are the potentially un-reliable and readily jammable ones. IR has opened my pug reliably for 10 years

You would still need the matching key for the scrapper

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Is the receiver actually in the courtesy light area? Or am I looking in the wrong place?

Are the buttons generally on the key, or available on a separate fob? I?ve got an aftermarket key, not the original one. I understand from the dealer that all I?d need for them to get an IR sender was the frequency code on the receiver. They?d be able to order up a key with any frequency apparently. However the dealer refused to tell me whether the unit was on the key or on a separate fob.

My dealer has also told me that if I need a new key, it will cost £150. Is this right, as they insist they?ve got to change all the locks. On previous cars (of many makes), other dealers have been able to work on the chassis or engine number to get the correct key.

I mention that I?ve found IR to be unreliable because I?ve found in the past (particularly with 3rd party alarms) that I?ve needed to be very near the car to activate it, and it?s been a battery drain. If it works, fair enough but I?ve had problems with it in the past.

Reply to
dazza12

IR receiver is in the front middle under the antenna. If there is no receiver there must be a loose connector at that place. Key can be made from chassisnr. Also I have a scheme for making your own transmitter. The code for this transmitter can be determined from the receiver.

Greetz Aat "dazza12" schreef in bericht news:1_513394 snipped-for-privacy@autoforumz.com...

Reply to
Aat van den Bos

> >Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report> > abuse:

I have a '95 405. The receiver is in the headlining- look for a black plastic cover. This is IR transparent but blocks strong sunlight etc

My key has a single button, a red led and an IR led

There is no concept of a 'frequency' with IR keys. The dealer is talking bollocks. The signal to open your car rather than another one is in the code that is modulated onto the IR signal

This may be true. The new key has to transmit the right code as well as being the correct mechanical profile. Maybe they can specify the profile or can't be arsed to find out?

Nigel, another contributor to this group is a Pug master tech and may well be able to answer this point.

Yes IR is short range- about 4 cars lengths but in 10 years, I've just put my second set of batteries in - 2 at 99p each so not much of a battery drain. hth

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Just had a look, there?s no receiver. However, at the front of the headlining, behind the black lining on the windscreen in the centre, there?s a hole, about 5mm in diameter. Nothing is behind this though.

Was this only available on certain models or as an option? I?m thinking it?s probably not installed on my car. However it seems odd, I?ve got aircon on this model, and you?d think with that installed remote locking would have been standard! Either that or the previous owner had problems and ripped it out.

Reply to
dazza12

I don't know anything about 406s.It was just as your 406 is virtually the same age as my 405 I'd assumed they would have similar schemes.

Hopefully someone in this NG with an early model 406 will be able to help.

regards

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

sensor should be under the glove box at the nearside footwell area look for a small black box with a visible metal plate on the outside (aerial) easier way is just to get the dealer to look (ask for the resident master tech though,sounds like last time you got an idiot instead)

Reply to
Mindwipe

Hi

Some of the early L & LX spec 406s did use the awful infra red remote locking keys & the sensor will be in the roof consoul.

The GLX, SRI & Executives always used the RF remote keys & the sensor for this is buried behind the glovebox.

Also the U.K. spec 1996, 1997 & some 1998 406 GLX, SRI & Executives ( IE: The cars with 4 electric windows from the factory ) had a total closure feature from the remote key.

Open all the windows, Deadlock the car with the remote, Big button first & then within 3 seconds the little button, Stand back & watch those windows close on there own, This was never mentioned in the handbook. On the high spec cars, The handbook might be in its little storage tray under the front passenger seat ( L & LX dont have the tray )

This feature was removed in 1998.

Reply to
Lee Power via CarKB.com

Hi

SOME but not all of the early L & LX spec 406s did use the awful infra red remote locking keys & the sensor will be in the roof consoul. But then again they also used the RF key like the high spec models.

The GLX, SRI & Executives always used the RF remote keys & the sensor for this is buried behind the glovebox.

Also the U.K. spec 1996, 1997 & some 1998 406 GLX, SRI & Executives ( IE: The cars with 4 electric windows from the factory ) had a total closure feature from the remote key.

Open all the windows, Deadlock the car with the remote, Big button first & then within 3 seconds the little button, Stand back & watch those windows close on there own, This was never mentioned in the handbook. On the high spec cars, The handbook might be in its little storage tray under the front passenger seat ( L & LX dont have the tray )

This feature was removed in 1998.

Reply to
Lee Power via CarKB.com

Hi

SOME but not all of the early L & LX spec 406s did use the awful infra red remote locking keys & the sensor will be in the roof consoul. But then again SOME also used the RF key like the high spec models.

The GLX, SRI & Executives always used the RF remote keys & the sensor for this is buried behind the glovebox.

Also the U.K. spec 1996, 1997 & some 1998 406 GLX, SRI & Executives ( IE: The cars with 4 electric windows from the factory ) had a total closure feature from the remote key.

Open all the windows, Deadlock the car with the remote, Big button first & then within 3 seconds the little button, Stand back & watch those windows close on there own, This was never mentioned in the handbook. On the high spec cars, The handbook might be in its little storage tray under the front passenger seat ( L & LX dont have the tray )

This feature was removed in 1998.

Reply to
Lee Power via CarKB.com

"Lee Power via CarKB.com" wrote: > Hi > > Some of the early L & LX spec 406s did use the awful infra red > remote > locking keys & the sensor will be in the roof consoul. > > The GLX, SRI & Executives always used the RF remote keys & the > sensor for > this is buried behind the glovebox. > > Also the U.K. spec 1996, 1997 & some 1998 406 GLX, SRI & > Executives ( IE: > The cars with 4 electric windows from the factory ) had a > total closure > feature from the remote key. > > Open all the windows, Deadlock the car with the remote, Big > button first & > then within 3 seconds the little button, Stand back & watch > those windows > close on there own, This was never mentioned in the handbook. > On the high spec cars, The handbook might be in its little > storage tray > under the front passenger seat ( L & LX dont have the tray ) > > This feature was removed in 1998. > > -- > Message posted via

Thanks for all the advice guys, looks like I?m going to spend tomorrow afternoon led upside down in the passenger compartment. As well as this, I?ve got the problem with the speedo transducer, and the air recirculation flap motor (to be disconnected!). I understand they are all in this area.

Does the RF receiver have a frequency code on it that I?d need to quote to the dealer?

Reply to
dazza12