Peugeot 405GRx4, Citroen rear axle? Has become very soft

The rear suspension has become very soft on my 1993 405 GR 4x4.

By "soft" it behaves as expected when stationary, but when moving the rear end bounces far more than normal.

To complicate matters, I have been led to believe that the rear axle may be a Citroen unit on this model of car.

Is it possible that one of the units is leaking? (I have recently had to add fluid to the resevoir and the level is now correct) If so, can air get into the unit and cause this effect?

Are there bleed valves?

All suggestions appreciated. I have also cross posted this to the Citroen group in case it is a Citroen rear axle.

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
Peter Sheppard

Peter Sheppard ( snipped-for-privacy@nospampuffer-nutter.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Eh? Sounds like you mean "hard" - if it's bouncy.

Yep, same as BX 4x4, based on normal BX.

Sounds *very* like one of the spheres has ruptured. A pair of new spheres should see you right.

Reply to
Adrian

Adrian,

Thanks for that.

Would you think it is easier to get the spares from Citroen or Peugeot? Also, would a BX Haynes manual show me what to do? (There is no manual for the Peugeot 4x4 or hydraulic suspension)

Cheers

Peter

Adrian wrote:

Reply to
Peter Sheppard

Peter Sheppard ( snipped-for-privacy@nospampuffer-nutter.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Neither.

GS&F or EuroCarParts would be a far better source.

I doubt a Cit or Pug dealer know would have heard of it.

The normal BX manual will give you a clue, but I think that's about as close as you're going to get.

There's no BX 4x4 manual, either - not even a factory one in English. Seriously - apparently the dealers had to learn French or wing it. Three guesses which they did?

Reply to
Adrian

GS&F?

Reply to