Xantia speedo

Hi all,
I have this really annoying problem with my Xantia.
I have an electronic speedo which, although at the moment is mostly working, it occasionally does not!
When it stops working, the needle occasionally "plips" up to the correct speed. When it is not working, neither the speedo or trip work - hence it must be a lost signal to the instrument panel.
I have had 3 new dashboards in it now, and concluded that it is not that !! Second one did not work until I ran a soldering iron over it (although I think that may be a coincidence now!) third one worked straight away, but now works intermittently.
I have replaced the gearbox transducer, tried to follow the wiring through the vehicle (although got lost through the bulkhead and in the dash)
Could I be really unlucky with the 2 additional dashes I bought, or does anyone know a weak point in the wiring I can look at?
Thanks for any help
Matt.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
Use the Haynes manual to check te wiring with a multimeter for breaks. It may take some time to study and read before you really understand the color codes and harnss codes of the electrical diagrams in the Haynes manual. This of course dependt upon your knowledge of electronics and diagrams.
Let me know if you don't have the haynes manual, I can provide you a link where you can download it. Just send me an email.
Good luck.

Add pictures here
‚úĖ

This controls so many of the electrics on the xantia.
Everytime i start mine up i need to fiddle the the ignition barrel slightly to get the heated rear screen/ heater / radio / horn/ speedo / elec windows etc. to work. its not a major job just turn back and forth slightly (being careful not to run the starter motor whils the engine is running*)
* - On most vehicles there is a safety device which stops you doing this. on the xantia (mine at least) there doesn't seem to be this.
Rob
Add pictures here
‚úĖ

For some reason the speedo is working all the time now! (For no apparent reason)
However your post is interesting because I do recall not being able to use the heated rear screen, but I tried it the other day and it has started to work, I had not connected the two! I knew there was a link to the heater blower from the ignition because the link had melted in the past and I had to replace it to get the heater blower working.
I'll have a mess with the ignition should things stop working again!
Cheers,
Matt.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ

If your rear window heater does not work, this is quite a certain signal for a damaged ignition switch (the thing you stick and turn your key in for starting the car). The ignition switch is said to be a weak spot of the Xantia.
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
‚úĖ