WRX vs STI? Opinions wanted

The master plan is playing out nicely. The wifely unit wanted to keep her '92 Acura Vigor, so I traded my Miata on a '02 Forester. Next, the wifely one falls in love with the Forester, as I suspected she might. ;-)

Now, she has the Forester, and I have an old Vigor to trade in on... what?

The WRX sport wagon was my original target, but the STI looks mighty appealling. Some points to ponder:

I'd prefer the utility of the wagon to the sedan. (favours WRX) I don't like the appearance of big rear wings. (WRX) I do like horsepower and torque. (STI) The STI's seats and steering wheel are genuine kick-ass units. (STI)

6-speed better than 5-speed for road use? (not sure) STI handling stiffer/less comfy on highway than WRX? big difference? (not sure) Difference in insurance rates? (not sure) Will the STI be a bigger magnet for road hazards such as thieves and police? I like the look of WR Blue with the gold anodized wheels, but this can be achieved on the WRX too, can it not?

Bottom line: I could give up the wagon form factor in order to get the extra horsepower and cool interior. I could even put up with the big wing if I had to. The goal is to achieve a balance, and have a semi-practical car that will be fun to drive in a spirited fashion on backroads, either paved, semi, or not. But I don't want to have my fillings rattled out, or be plagued by reliability concerns. I'm in the Toronto area, so snow is expected for half the year, and ground clearance matters on backroads too.

Any opinions would be welcome.

...Ron

Reply to
Ron Ginter

You mentioned cargo carrying capacity as a possible factor in your decision. I think that could be a moot point given that your wifely unit has exactly that in the Forester, covering you all as a family, so I vote for the STI. Function in one car, fun in the other, all together.

Reply to
xymergy

Get the WRX wagon, your wife will dump the Forester for it and you can trade that in on an Sti.

Reply to
Jerry and Bea

I have the STi. I live in Nova Scotia; all of the same concerns as you. Try driving the WRX. You'll love it. Then try driving the STi. WRX will then become the prefix for WRX STi.

I was going to buy a WRX... until I drove the STi. It can comfortably seat

4 averaged-sized adults, has pretty good trunk space and... goes like nothing you will have ever driven before. However, the most impressive asset it has (that beats the WRX hands down) is the braking and the grip in the turns. It is pure fun, but it is semi-practical. I use mine as a daily driver and, except for the verbal speed restrictor in the passenger seat (otherwise known as wife-unit # 2), it makes the commute a pleasure.
Reply to
FNO

If you seat it out for a year maybe they will come to their senses and offer an STi wagon without the whale wing.Maybe it will take more than a year for that to happen (until all the kids got their STis and it's time for Subaru to explore other markets). On the other hand STi Legacy may kill that dream :-(

Reply to
nl

I agree (I have a WRX wagon)

I don't mind the STi rear wing, but if you hate it, rest assured that lots of the boy-racers buying the normal WRX sedan love it and would be all too happy to swap their trunk for yours with the wing

I agree 110% with that!

it's subjective - and also depends on the gear ratios - you may be shifting quite a bit with the 6spd

You won't notice too much difference cruising on smooth pavement (at least I didn't)

almost certainly going to cost more for the STi

Thieves - maybe Police - I doubt it - if they clock you speeding, they generally don't care what you are driving.

In the US, the gold wheels are only available stock on the STi - you can easily add aftermarket ones on the regular WRX, though

Based upon your bottom line, and the fact that you guys already have a Forester, I would say go for the STi!

Reply to
David & Caroline

Thanks all,

A definite trend has emerged and it is saying that I should get the STI. I am willing to have a "semi-practical" car. I'm in the fortunate position of not having to commute. My office is about a mile from my home, and my biggest concern is whether the motor gets fully warmed up before I shut it off again.

I've read a little more about the 6speed tranny, and it sounds like a wonderful addition, and the performance exhaust with a "freer" exhaust note is a given.

I'll report back after I get it... as soon as I can stop driving it!

...Ron

Reply to
Ron Ginter

From the length of your commute, I'd suggest a bicycle.

Reply to
Jerry and Bea

Or maybe the good old shoe-leather express. :)

--Decimal Cat

Reply to
Decimal Cat

Reply to
JaySee

Simple. If you can afford the STI, then buy it. You don't need two wagons, but you do need fun. Very important is fun.

Matt version 3 STI

Reply to
matt