Xantia Wipers problem

Hi there. I have a L-reg Xantia, whose windscreen wipers keep playing up. The intermittent function has never worked since I've had the car (I just have two off positions on the stalk). The main problem is that they also don't always park. THey first did it a couple of months ago, but fixed themselves with no real intervention. Just recently, its got worse, and seems to be aggravated by excessive wetness (Sounds stupid, but washing the car or a downpour brings it on). However I thought it would be a relay problem, but I think these are behind the fuse box, and as such should not get wet....hmmm.

Also, will my wipers not parking cause the car to fail its MOT?

any ideas? please?

andy

Reply to
andyR

andyR ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

No.

I'd say that fail point b - a wiper does not continue to operate automatically when switched on - was more targetted at where the wiper has to be switched off and back on to do a second sweep. I've certainly MOTd a GSA with wipers that wouldn't park with no problem.

Reply to
Adrian

Thanks for that, but now I've had a read, in section 8.3 it seems to say that wipers which park automatically in a position which encroaches on vision is a fail. Now the wipers don't park automatically, [thats the problem!] but could that statement be interpreted as saying they park 'automatically' wherever they are when they are switched off? [I.e potentially obscuring vision?]

Reply to
andyR

andyR ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

That's aimed at the NovaBoi that thinks it's *really* k3wl to take one wiper off and put the other so it parks vertically...

Wouldn't have thought so, as they don't "park automatically" anywhere, least of all somewhere inconvenient. They park manually, and you're bright enough to stop them manually at the bottom of the sweep every time, aren't you?

I s'pose in the end it'll be down to the discretion of the tester. Get the test done somewhere small and sensible, and if you can mention it to the guy who's going to be doing the test in person, all the better. They can be human, y'know.

It's probably a failure within the motor, rather than a wiring problem. IIRC, the Xant motor's not that bad to get to. Open the bonnet, remove the plastic trim at the base of the screen, and it's sat there.

Reply to
Adrian

Again, thanks - I just get paranoid about this sort of thing! With a bit of luck, giving the motor a bit of a going over may make it go away anyway...

Reply to
andyR