Xantia Wipers parking problem

I have a L-reg (93) Citroen Xantia. The intermittent wiper function has never worked on the car (I have a 5-position stalk - press down for a single wipe, then off, off(Should be intermittent), on, fast). A few weeks ago the wipers stopped parking, and remained wherever when you turned them off. Then one morning the problem disappeared, and they were fine. Just recently the problem restarted. It will sound stupid, but it seems worse when the car is wet (It was aggravated after I washed it, then after a downpour). This may just be coincidence, as I thought it would be a relay problem....if so are there two relays for intermittent and parking, or is it all the same one?

Just my luck to have my MOT next week! please help me!

andy

Reply to
andyR

Is there a parking switch inside the wiper motor? This keeps the motor going after you've turned the wipers off until they reach the parked position. If there's moisture getting into the motor it could be shorting this out or more likely causing a bad contact. I dunno if WD40 might help sprayed liberally inside the motor or can you get to this switch and clean it? Check any connectors associated with the wiper motor too.

Just had a look at the Haynes BOL. Yes there is a parking switch inside the motor (item 5015). The dodgy intermittent is probably the intermittent relay (item 5010) but could also be due to a duff resistor in the wiper switch or a dodgy contact. To be honest the diagram ain't the clearest to follow.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc