Xsara..broken dipstick..what do I do?

Hi, please help...today I went to check my oil for the first time since my last garage service, and I was puzzled to see that the end of the dipstick didn't seem to be coming up with any oil on it..wondered if I'd had an oil leak but it levels were fine (allegedly) at the last service 4 months ago, there have been no oil patches on my driveway or car parking spot at work, and I've had no oil pressure/level warning lights, no problems whatsoever. I then realised there weren't any min/max notches at the end of the dipstick.. then realised that the end of the dipstick was a bit short and therefore suspect that it must have snapped off at the 'max' notch.

So my questions are...do I need to worry? if it's snapped off inside the dipstick tube, where's the snapped off piece likely to have gone? Is it likely to cause any damage or is it just going to happily sit there doing nothing? Assuming I don't need to worry about that...I'll have to find myself a new dipstick from somewhere...but is the snapped off end likely to prevent a new dipstick from going in all the way? And is there any way to check my oil levels without a dipstick?

My car's a Citroen Xsara 1.4i (Oct 2001)

Milo

Reply to
milo99 via CarKB.com

the dipstick measures the oil in your sump , and so the end of the dipstick would be in the sump i would have said , the sump has a feeder pipe to send the oil round the engine , and this has a filter on the end , and so the end of your dipstick shouldnt be able to work its way into the engine. you could remove it by draining the oil and removing the sump , it should be sat in there , but i dont know how easy this is on a xsara . i wouldnt 100% guarentee its safe to leave the broken piece in , but i would have said it is likely to have done any damage by now if it was going to.

Reply to
wayne goldring

don't worry to much about it. it can't do any damage. if you want you can take the sump off to get it out. you might find you can get another dip stick to fit while the broken one is still there.

Reply to
smilie