1.0 Corsa - Too much oil?

I bought a 98 Corsa 1.0 3 Cylinder 12v yesterday. Whilst inspecting the car the owner told me he had just topped up the oil and uppon checking the dipstick I noticed that he had obviously put far too much oil in as the line was way above max.

As soon as I got the car home(40 miles) I drained the oil and just over 4 litres came out. The haynes manual states that it should hold 3 litres. Is it likely that putting an extra 1L in there could have caused any damage? It does appear to have a slight oil leak from somewhere, ive just cleaned it all off to try and see where its coming from. Could the leak be linked to having to much oil in?

Thanks

Reply to
Kirky

I would be very surprised if the high oil level will make any difference to anything. excess oil CAN damage things, but probably hasn't. Excess oil again is unlikely to increase leakage although it CAN.

Clean it and see where it is falling out.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Thanks for that. Ive cleaned as much off as I can at the moment. I'm awaiting on the bits to arrive so I can service everything in one go before I take it out for a run.

I'm thinking there is a chance that the oil drips could be from where he "missed" whilst topping up the oil as the was oil in places I wouldn't expect ie on the back of the radiator fan.

Reply to
Kirky

Hi,

I have had some help from several people regarding this very same problem. Not that I'm very knowledgeable about cars, but I pass to you what I received back then.

When oil is very high in the oil pan, it is possible that the crankshaft touches the surface of the oil, and it may happen that it causes the oil to foam, which could cause bad lubrication. In my case, and seemingly in yours too, it did not cause any damage. I drove 200 kms after I had too much oil and still did not have any problem.

Rgds,

Peter

Reply to
peter

The message from "MrCheerful" contains these words:

And if it had you'd probably know about it by now.

Reply to
Guy King

Possibly, but I doubt it.

If the level is now correct, and the air filter / inlet ducting is dry of oil (not been forced out of the PCV system) it will be ok.

Bear in mind that these engines need very fresh oil in them (twice a year at least) otherwise the cam chain stretches and ultimatly lunches the engine. -Due to a blocked oilway and stuck tensioner- there is a kit from vx which should be fitted - check with a dealer to see if its been done.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

The air filter was dry so hopefully i got away with it. Whats this kit consist of and how hard is it to fit if it hasnt been fitted?

Thanks

Reply to
Kirky

Consists of new chain, new guides, new tensioner unit, and a spray bar (with larger holes) Is around £150 from autovaux, and will take a skilled mechanic about 2 hours to fit. You should also get a cam cover gasket as this has to come off also.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Sounds like a worthwhile job if it hasnt been done. Any idea how i'd know if it had been done already?

Autovaux are an excellent company, had many parts from there in the past.

Rob

Reply to
Kirky

Sounds like a worthwhile job if it hasnt been done. Any idea how i'd know if it had been done already?

Autovaux are an excellent company, had many parts from there in the past.

I think you would need to quote the VIN number at a dealer, and he should be able to tell you if its a) in need of the mod, b) if its been done.

Whats the mileage on the car, and the s.h. like?

tim..

Reply to
Tim..

My Ford Focus TDCI appeared to have too way much oil in it too. However I measured the oil 3 times on different 'level ' bits of ground both with the engine hot and cold and got various results. I rang my Ford dealer who did the service and they said you'd have to overfill it by *loads* to do damage.

When I do oil changes, I try and get the level a good 3 or 4 mm below the line and check it again after a few miles. It seems that Ford mechanics just squirt in a predefnined amount though. I'm sure my old Accord started pissing oil out via the crankshaft oil seal when I overfilled it, thankfully it stopped after a while though :-)

I've found in the past that if you spill a significant amount of oil it can take a good while of engine run time for it all to drip off, so like the other posters have said, wipe it clean and monitor the level. Then get under the car with it running to see if it's leaking or not. Is the sump plug leaking ? My plug was, since there were drips on the plug itself . There are a few iffy looking power steering hoses on mine which look like they're starting to weep a bit too.

I hate oil leaks, although cars do seem less prone to them these days, or am I just lucky ?

Si

Reply to
mr p

It wasnt the sump plug leaking. Ive ordered the bits to service the car from Autovaux and they should be here by friday so will find out more and post again then.

Cheers everyone.

Reply to
Kirky