Dipstick on M112 V6 engine

I just purchased a 2004 C240 4Matic. To my great surprise, no dipstick. There is a very nice diagnostic feature for oil level in the control cluster, but frankly I would like to be low-tech and have a dipstick, too. There is a tube for the dipstick, but the cover at the end is a dummy--no stick. Can one obtain an actual dipstick for this engine?

Thanks.

Fred

Reply to
f1741

No. The only dipstick available is a 'test' dipstick marked in mm. It is a tool used to check the level after the oil is changed. It is too long and too expensive to leave in.

Reply to
Karl

Depending on what the top of the tube looks like, either a mercedes one with the locking clip or just a regular tube like a ford or chevy.

Grab a dip stick of the right type (good long one is best, to be sure it reaches the oil, and you trim off what you dont need) of the right type and next time U get the oil changed, and you know that its at the right level. Stick it in and make a mark with a hacksaw, coal chisel or the like (just a mark that you can see, this will shake about a fair bit, and you dont want it breaking off) trim it off to an inch or a little more below this mark and your set.

There is nothing too high tech about a dip stick. I used to make em like this all the time for boats with custom oil pans. Only thing you have to watch is its not going to hit on the crank, rods or other things whizzing around in there.

I imag> No.

used to check the level

Reply to
Alex

You cannot put any old dipstick in the 112 V6 in the 203 body. The test one is a coiled spring. Any flat dipstick will NOT go around the tight bends this tube has. It does NOT go straight down into the pan. This an't no Ford or Chevy!!

used to check the level

Reply to
Karl

Well in that case, looks like U have got to just trust the electronics, and hope if the engine gets clattery because its running low on oil, its loud enough to hear it before it runs a bearing, or worse. I dont belive an engine has been made yet that has absolutly no chance of losing oil somewhere or other or electronics that are simarly bulletproof.

Depending on how tight the bends are, you might be able to use some thick piano wire or some round spring steel, or I have seen a coil type spring, about 3/16" round at hardware stores for hanging curtins on, this would be harder to mark though, and you would still need to make some kind of handle & cap part. Also make sure the end is well rounded, so it cant catch anywhere.

If you want to keep it in the family try to use a Chrysler dipstick, I remember the slant 6 in my 60's model Dodge Truck had a round dipstick, at least that way you will not be resorting to the vulgarity of using a chev or ford part.

V12's are a bit fancy for me, and I have not even seen one in the flesh. I am fairly happy with the old SEC I have had for years, I think it still looks good, and is more than sexy enough for an old coot like me.

Karl wrote:

a coiled spring. Any

straight down into

used to check the

Reply to
Alex

Thanks for the opinions. The tube does seem to have a snaky path from top to bottom, so perhaps a normal dipstick won't work. I just hope the automated sensor proves to be reliable!

one is a coiled spring. Any

NOT go straight down into

tool used to check the

Reply to