Engine sputters and dies

I have a 77 Chev C-10 with a smogged 350. It's started sputtering out and dieing and then being hard to start. Is that simply a dirty carb, or is a vacuum component not working? I notice that the inlet from the PVC valve had some motor oil on it. Could it be the carb?

Any help would be appreciated.

Could it be the throttle valve? This is a two opening valve that bolts to the front of the intake manifold. There does seem to be any available replacemnent part for it anywhere.

Reply to
Plantagenet_Palliser

Pallister wrote: " I have a 77 Chev C-10 with a smogged 350. It's started sputtering out and dieing and then being hard to start. Is that simply a dirty carb, or is a vacuum component not working? I notice that the inlet from the PVC valve had some motor oil on it. Could it be the carb? Any help would be appreciated. Could it be the throttle valve? This is a two opening valve that bolts to the front of the intake manifold. There does seem to be any available replacemnent part for it anywhere. " $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Really it could be lots of things but if it was my truck,which is very similar to yours,I would check and replace as necessary the fuel filter,air filter,cap+rotor,etc.Then I'd try to determine if I had a fuel,electrical,or mechanical problem.Does it idle smoothly,have good power,spark is good,smog stuff functioning properly? ETC. But first do the easy stuff,the filters etc. And yes,it could be the carb,but it could also be the fuel pump or the EGR valve or a lot of things.Do the maintenance and get a repair manual and approach it systematically instead of throwing parts at it. Best ..........Brian

Reply to
Brian Orion

Reply to
Jessie Herrera