Who made the...

best classic truck? What model?

Mine is a toss-up between the '54 Chev and the 39-47 Dodge.. Pity I can't afford either these days!

-- Molesworth

Reply to
Molesworth

64-67 Dodge Palomino
Reply to
Ripcord

any pics? I can;t see one anywhere..

Molesworth

Reply to
Molesworth
56 was a great year. Both Ford and Chevy had nice pickups then. I like 49 and 50 ford/mercs two, they look great slammed. I own a 51 merc so I'm partial to that year as well.

Reply to
Jeremy

Ripcord

Right. Thanks for that. I had seen this page but couldn't find 'Palamino' anywhere.

This is a forerunner of the D100/200 series? Or a modified (factory) version of them?

To my mind it's a bit bland.

Maybe ones likes etc, are age-related!

Molesworth

Reply to
Molesworth

Mechanically I think International Harvester made the best pickups in the 50s and 60s. Stylewise I like the Chevy/GMCs, 55 second series is my favorite. I always wanted a '56 GMC because of "The Misfits". I have seen that movie probably ten times in thirty years. Ford F100 is attractive in those years but I wouldn't have a flathead eight on a bet. Dodge looks gaudy and had usually the heavy flathead six or the Hemis, but the Hemi wasn't really that great an engine to drive every day.

I wish IH had offered the bigger medium truck gas six in their pickups. It's a foot too long and 300 pounds overweight to fit for retrofit but if they'd made the nose longer....Of course Chebby had access to the Detroit Diesel engine and never used it either.

There's a very nice Ford of that vintage with a 4-53 DD

Makes it look easy.

Studebaker made a pickup too. It was okay. Unfortunately Packard never did. The Packard straight eight and V12 were some of the best American engines ever. The Ferrari is a SOHC conversion of a Packard Twin Six scaled down. In retrospect they should have scaled down the

1710 Allison but the fork and blade rods were too much work.
Reply to
RapidRonnie

Isn't it odd that a pickup in a movie, made years ago, can influence any of us in such a way! I remember the F1 in 'The Fog'..

I love the Hudson pickup. Even if it is so rare that it commands silly prices.. they just look so 'fat'!

Reply to
Molesworth