Austin 10 identification

I am picking up an Austin 10 in the next few days. It has been kept garaged for the last ten+ years and appears to be in fairly good condition. Is there any way to identify what model and year it is? I was told it was 1932 but I don't think so. It is a convertable 2 door (black with maroon hood) with pram type folding hood, metal wheels not spokes. The radiator grill is curved (not the square chrome type) with a big logo at the top. It has no modern extras like seat belts or flashing indicators and what looks like 1 brake light next to the rear number plate. I have fully restored a Triumph Herald recently but something this age is a new experience, as I don't know about fuel, spares or even what oil to use. Does anyone have any advice, ideas and is there a club they would recommend.

Thanks Ron

Reply to
Ron

There is the Austin 10 Drivers Club ltd Ian Dean PO Box 12 Chichester W Sussex PO20 7PH 01243 641284. A web addy I found is

You might also find the Automobile a magazine for pre 1960 cars intersting. Mike W-W is always interested in cars that have reappeared after a lay up and is able to help on all sorts of things.

It should run happily on unleaded being a slow revving engine and the club will advise on oil but I guess it will be like my cars (not Austin) and want a straight 30 oil. I wouldn't try and start it until you've flushed it through and changed the fluids.

HTH

Andy Sole Member of the Hillman-Coatalen Owners Club

Reply to
Splashlube

I think that the 10s got the facelift (previously square chrome rads) in 1935 or so. The easyclean wheels were 1936 on, though they were a popular retrofit. Are you sure yours is Austin-bodied? ISTR there were tourers available from other coachbuilders.

Reply to
R Strong

I have now got the car and the log book. It was registered on 3rd December 1936. Austin black cabriolet reg:DKM

378. Last MOT 1969/70. The engine had a complete rebore and rebuild in 1965 at the cost of £48-2-8d. It seems to be in fairly good order, some rust here and there. The brakes work perfectly and the tyres pumped up fine (although I wouldn't put a lot of trust in them). The fabric of the hood looks perfect other than a recent tear of about 6" but I have not worked out how to fold it down and some of the stitching has perished.

Thanks for the input Ron

Reply to
Ron