Re: What does it do?

It's the heater dial. Mine doesn't work.

Its the heater control , its not a dial and DO NOT TOP POST !

Reply to
Matt

Makka

I didn't top post. I replied to the message as it was in my listing. I am the second message in the thread as far as I can see. Perhaps you should get a real news server?

Reply to
Dan

"Dan" wrote in news:TH1Va.94592$ snipped-for-privacy@news.xtra.co.nz:

Top posting is where you post your new text at the top of the message. Aparently, it some sort of evil thing that causes you to fly planes into buildings and the like, but as this isn't alt.anal_retention it's possibly not worth giving a damn.

As long as people trim their messages to they don't get up to the 800kb mark ( like another NG I freqeunt! ) I'm happy. :)

splam.

Reply to
xsplam

Andy Luckman

Andy Luckman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@office.spews.co.uk:

Could you repeat that link just one more time?

Reply to
xsplam

Andy Luckman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@office.spews.co.uk:

Could you repeat that link just one more time?

Reply to
xsplam

Plonk plonk plonk!!

-- AJL Electronics (G6FGO) : Satellite and TV aerial systems

:
** Would you like to learn to post effectively? ** **
**

Reply to
Andy Luckman

Oh yes you did.

That's not what top-posting means and it woudl make no sense to think it did, because the order of posts on a server can differ between servers. Top posting is pasting a reply before the quoted text. It is made worse when the quoted text consists of all of the post being replied to (including the signature) and the person posting a reply is too lazy or stupid to snip away irrelevant parts of the message.

Carried to an extreme this results in stupid one-line answers which contain after them every single post in the thread. Doing it is at the very least a sign of a complete novice and at worst the sign of someone who simply doesn't care for the audience reading their tripe.

Here's an explanation of why it is wrong:

No. Does top posting make sense?

An here are some URLs you should read, especially the last one which will let you download a repair for your copy of Outlook Express.

?clue=topposting
Get your OE fixed here;

You're showing your ignorance. The software that you use to read news (Outlook Express) is a news client. A news server is run by your ISP or some other third party, you could run one yourself but it seems fairly obvious from your headers that you are not.

Reply to
Steve Firth

How about some more? :-)

Andy Luckman

Hear! Hear! Isn't life too short for getting hot under the collar about

'top posting' 'spam' 'OT'

etc etc. I subscribe to another (like this one) great 'old motors' NG inhabited by delightful people from all over the world, and the total indifference to all above three sins results in great BP figures all round

TT

Reply to
Tony Tynan

And the BHP ;-)

?

The Muffin Man

Reply to
The Muffin Man

Get over it.

Reply to
Dan

I was a little confused ;-)

The Muffin Man

Reply to
The Muffin Man

That stays in great shape too ie. Moderate BP = High BHP. Just look at the torrent that follows, below.. Do I rest my case or do I rest my case? TT

Reply to
Tony Tynan

Reply to
Makka

Ahhh, now i understand.

Reply to
Dan

Further to my comments, I just went back and had a look. This thread started with a query posted ONLY to alt.autos.mini.

The person who first crossposted it was "Matt", with the response:

Its the heater control , its not a dial and DO NOT TOP POST !

Given that "Matt" contributed nothing new, just repeating Dan's explanation that the control in question is the heater control, but added "DO NOT TOP POST" and cross posted to uk.rec.cars.classics, I think we can safely assume that Matt was our troll, trying to start an argument about top posting.

I gather from some of the responses we've seen that you have one or two folks in uk.rec.cars.classics who are sensitive about top posting and will bite when the topic comes up. Matt obviously knows this, as well as knowing that we have a few bloody minded individualists in alt.autos.mini who insist on top posting. We don't bother arguing with our top posters about it here, and you have probably learnt not to argue with your bottom posting brethren, but Matt hoped to get our top posters fighting with your bottom posters.

He succeeded.

Please watch for crossposting whenever someone new seems to be looking for an argument.

Reply to
Graham

I know this thing - I'm using a newsreader which tells me when I'm crossposting. That was the point of my comment. Makka, on the other hand, is using Outlook Express, which is why he is posting imbecilities on uk.rec.cars.classic without realising it.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Hit the nail on the head. For some reason it seems to be ok to bottom post without snipping but a crime against all mankind to top post Bizarre. But what a lovely thread it always produces.

Top posting is easy and simple to read and the plonker who keeps 'demonstrating' its lack of logic by reversing some text is just a goon. It has no relevance at all.

Top or bottom, it makes no difference and many, many ng's operate quite happily with either or a mix. Only the anally retentive and the hard of understanding seem to have trouble with it.

Graeme

Reply to
Graeme