My First - 1978 264GL

Hello and it is good to be here. I just landed a 1978 264GL for $350 US. The body needs work, as the car sat for 15 years before being somewhat restored by the local Salvation Army. There is also some damage to the rear and trunk where the original owner backed it into a garage. It has pretty good tires and two nice spares. The interior, though, is shot; long exposure to the Florida sun has taken its toll. The clincher, though, is the mileage. The car has just over 45000 miles! (45300 app at this time). Its engine sounds exceptionally good, considering what I've read about this little V6. So, as a first time owner (and I've wanted a Volvo since the 70's...), I've a few questions. First, mileage - what are we looking at? Next, what type of transmission fluid, as I think this is a little low. I'm sure I'll think of more questions, but that seems like a good start.

Peace, Rob

Reply to
Rob

Any idea what they did and when?

Does the odo work?

In good tune probably low 20's. But have all of the belts and hoses been changed recently? If not do it pretty soon. Next check out the braking system very carefully. Again hoses and selas if they have set for 15 years are very suspect. Next, I'e heard the timing chain can be problematic on this engine, so do check it out for wear. It will be an interesting restoration project that once finished should be a very interesting car. Congratulations on getting a running Volvo for $350.

Reply to
Roadie

The fact that the engine sounds good puts you 90% of the way there, as you read, that's the usual source of problems. The cosmetic stuff shouldn't be too hard, many parts up into the early 90s will be compatible.

You're probably looking at around 18 mpg, the V6 was known to be rather thirsty. I don't recall on the transmission fluid but if you can find a user manual that will have all that information.

Reply to
James Sweet

Yup. Now over 45300 miles...

20's. But have all of the belts and hoses

That's the plan...

Just developed another problem... hood hinge failure (UGH!)

Reply to
Rob

Go to a junkyard for hood hinges, a set from any 240 will work.

Reply to
James Sweet

low 20's. But have all of the belts and hoses

they have set

Welcome to the world of used cars...just kidding of course. Keep us informed about how the project is progressing.

Reply to
Roadie