Austin A55

Hi all

Any of you guys know which of the "B" series engines can be transplanted direct into an A55 Mk11 without mods? I have aquired an A55 with an engine which is looking beyond economic repair but the car is far too good to scrap. Has anyone out there got a suitable transplant engine? If so let me know, remove "NOSPAM" to reply off group.

Gaspode

Reply to
gaspode

nightmare, the starter is on the opposite side so I ended up changing the plate behind the flywheel to take the austin box. The column change fouled the 1800 oil filter so I had to get a four on the floor gearbox. The Austin clutch release mechanism fouled something, I cant remember what though. I had to cut the bulkhead / floor area to clear something ( I can remember the patch on the floor) The exhaust front pipe had to be made up. It ran well though.

20 years ago now which is why its hard to be specific. Steve the grease
Reply to
R L Driver

Any of the three bearing ones can be adapted to fit - you may have to change the rear mounting plate, sump and oil pump pickup - maybe front mounting as well. But all these bolt on if you have the original to remove them from. You can also fit an MGB 5 bearing unit - even the transverse one from an 1800, although there might be more mods needed. I fitted one to an MGA 1500 years ago without too much trouble, using the original gearbox. For that I bought a brand new Austin 1800 short engine, and got a blown up MGB unit for the other engine bits.

If you can't find a 1500, the 1622 (from an A60 etc) is the strongest of the lot, and probably the most common. I'd guess a Marina/Ital 1800 would also fit, but I'm not sure how many differences there were from the MGB unit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

There is a fair old variation of gearbox/starter mounting arrangements, but changing the plate is easy.

Right. In my earlier post I wondered about differences with the Marina unit - I'd guess it has a one piece filter, rather than the replaceable element type. But was it not possible to retro fit the old type?

Strange, since it's all part of the box. Did you use the old flywheel and clutch?

But the old manifold would have fitted the new head, surely? Or did you want to use the more efficient Marina one?

More than that for me - more like 35 years.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I dont think there is too much work envolved in putting in the 1622CC i have seen them done, there was a scappy in doncaster that had a stack of A60`s Oxofrds E.T.C i dont now were you are but if intrested i will look out his number. George P.S I am not sure but it may be worth putting the 1622 c.c gearbox they are stronger than the A55 11 gearbox and even better after 65 when they strengthen the sncro rings and something else i belive but cant rember what.

Reply to
George Weatherley

I sem to remember that on the Marina block its at an angle .

Maybe it wasnt the clutch maybe it was that the 4 on the floor has the starter on the opposite side to the column change model.

Yes if I remember correctly I mentioned about changing the gearbox plate , I had to as the Marina starter was on the opposite side. ( or maybe not see above)

Reply to
R L Driver

Ah - that would depend on the gearbox you used. I'd guess if you searched, you'd have found a floor change 'box with the starter in the correct position - perhaps from an A55 car.

Reply to
Dave Plowman