engine cleaner

Has any one used one of those engine cleaners? The kind that you add to the oil and run the car for 5 minutes. I just got a 97 jetta with 100k miles on it and would like to make sure that the oil system is not gunked up.

Reply to
Runjgdrun

Best thing to do is remove the valve cover and take a look. If it's clean then you done well with regular service. If not, well then by using the cleaner you might create problems if the stuff comes loose and plugs up the oil pump.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Just change your oil regularly. If you need to use the cleaner fluid it means it has been neglected and who knows what it may loosen. You may find that it will only exacerbate any existing leaks.

If you start changing the oil regularly and it hasn't been neglected too badly it will clean itself out slowly.

Reply to
Victor Silva

Go to

The cleaner seems expensive but it does the job.

For more info on Auto-RX go to the Bobistheoilguy forums at

and do a search for Auto-RX. This product is not like solvent based cleaners which may harm your engine. The general consensus is that no mater how well maintained the engine is, there is still oil sludge build-up.

Tim

Tim

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Reply to
Tim Z )remove "_"'s to reply

Reply to
Tom Resi

I went to this site and I can't say whether it works or not. However, they did use all the typical snakeoil marketing talk, like "seals leaks, improves power, improves mileage, quites valve noise, etc."

My '84 GTI has only had Mobil 1 with absolutely no additives. It has

324,000 miles on it and the head looks as clean as the picture of their website of a head with only 124,000 miles. Never had any engine work other than clutch and valve adjustment pucks.

--VJS

Reply to
Victor Silva

I know, the site does seem kinda snake-oil'ish. Had it not been for the bobistheoilguy forums and their discussions of it and an endorsement by an oil analyzer (Terry Dyson), I would have never tried it solely based on the web site. Like I said, go to the oil forum and search for the auto-rx. I am in no way affiliated with any products. I just take the info I glean from the forums and try the stuff out. BTW I have a 90 Toyota that only had 56K miles two months ago. It was owned by my 99.5 year old great grandmother who neglected the car. She would not let me change the oil more than once a year (only about

1.5K miles/year) and she NEVER broke 40mph. Needless to say, the engine was gummed up. I tried the Auto-RX in the engine and am now in the flush stage. Just yesterday, I had the valve cover off to replace the timing belt and adjust the valves and the engine at this point had no sludge, but it still has a layer of black on everything that does not make contact with something else. The black layer I am referring to is not thick, it is just like a thin coating of varnish. Just an FYI for people who might be so inclined to neglect their engines like this (man, I hope no one else would even think of it). The cam shows signs of moderate wear at the lobes and the lobe for the fuel pump is scored. Upon doing the valve adjustment (which I think is supposed to be done at 60K, the valves were quite out of spec. (all my previous Honds's were only just barely loose if at all).

Take this >I went to this site and I can't say whether it works or not. However, they

Tim snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMswbell.net (remove NOSPAM to reply)